Discover the best Universities in Tanzania in 2021, as well as other alternatives for earning your degree, such as online schools and studying abroad.
Many aspiring university applicants get confused about which university to apply for. That confusion and dilemma is totally understandable. Don’t worry, you will learn from this article, the top 10 best universities in Tanzania.
Indeed, the Tanzanian educational system has gone through challenges; however, some good schools within the sector are recommendable.
What are the top 10 Best Universities in Tanzania?
Here is a list of the top 10 best universities in Tanzania:
- University of Dar Es Salaam
- Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences
- Sokoine University of Agriculture
- University of Dodoma
- Mzumbe University
- Open University of Tanzania
- Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences
- Mkwawa University College of Education
- Ardhi University
- University of Iringa
Tanzania’s higher education-related organizations are organisations or agencies that supervise the operations of Tanzanian institutions. Among the organizations are:
- Ministry of Education, Tanzania
- Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU)
With that said, let’s see in detail, the top 10 best universities in Tanzania. These universities are also among the most popular universities in Tanzania.
Top 10 Best Universities in Tanzania 2021
1. University of Dar Es Salaam
Number one in our list of the top 20 best universities in Tanzania is the University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM). This is to say that UDSM is currently the best university in Tanzania.
Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU) listed the University of Dar Es Salaam as the best government University in the Tanzania. It was also featured in the Reuters Top 5000 in their latest 2020 rankings of world universities.
University of Dar Es Salaam is an excellent academic institution founded in 1961. It was formerly affiliated with the University of London and has been running courses in Arts, Science and Medicine. Due to the school’s high standards, it has been rated among the top 10 best universities in Tanzania.
The school which is fully accredited offers different academic programmes. It has 13 faculties which include:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry
- Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Clinical Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Technology
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Public Health
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Engineering
UDSM College of Engineering and Technology is still regarded as the best in Tanzania as the institution itself has churned out numerous graduates who are doing the nation proud in various parts of the world.
UDSM as one of the best universities in Tanzania has received accreditations from bodies such as the Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU) The university also has a membership affiliation with the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU)
2. Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences
Currently, the Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences is rated as the best university to study medicine in Tanzania. This university is also ranked second of the best university in Tanzania and one of the top universities on the African continent.
Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences is located in Upanga Dar es Salaam, Coastal Region of Tanzania and is also known for producing high-quality graduates in Medicine and other medicine-related courses in Tanzania.
Medicine and surgery as a course in this university are relatively hard to get into because of many candidates which apply there yearly.
Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences also boasts of 5 schools that include:
School of Medicine:
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Sciences (BMLS)
- BMLS Haematology and Blood Transfusion
- BMLS Parasitology and Medical Entomology
- BMLS Clinical Chemistry
- BMLS Histotechnology
- Bachelor of Science Radiation Therapy Technology (BSc RTT)
School of Dentistry:
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)
School of Pharmacy:
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
School of Nursing:
- BSc Nursing Degree Programme
- BSc Nursing (Management) Degree Programme
- BSc Midwifery Degree Programme
School of Public Health And Social Sciences:
- BSc (Environmental Health Science) Degree Programme
3. Sokoine University of Agriculture
Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) is famous in the country and among the top 10 best universities in Tanzania.
Sokoine University of Agriculture was founded on July 1, 1984, by Parliamentary Act No. 14 of 1984, Since its establishment, it has produced top-class graduates who have done well to win numerous prestigious awards such as the National Merit Awards.
It also boasts of one of the best Distance Learning Institute offering professional courses in Accounting, Business Administration, Science Education
Sokoine University of Agriculture has 5 accredited colleges with different departments, which include:
- College of Agriculture
- College of Forestry Wildlife and Tourism
- College of Social Sciences and Humanities
- College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- Solomon Mahlangu College of Science and Education
4. University of Dodoma
The Central part of Tanzania is not left out in the academic quest. University of Dodoma has always emerged to represent this region as one of Tanzania’s top 10 best universities.
UDOM was established on March 2007 , The University of Dodoma is a public university in central Tanzania’s capita city Dodoma, Chimwaga region, approximately 8 kilometers east of downtown Dodoma.
UDOM once reported that the university had the highest number of applicants in the nation. With accredited faculties, colleges and postgraduate schools, the university offers various academic programs in multiple fields. There is the faculty of:
- Environmental Science
- Life Sciences
- Management Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Communication and Information Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Veterinary Medicine and Law
It also has two faculties in its College of Health Sciences (Basic Medical and Clinical Sciences), The Postgraduate School and Institute of Education.
5. Mzumbe University
Mzumbe University is one of the top 10 best schools in Tanzania and is known for offering quality education. Over the years, this university has proven to be one of the best higher institutions one can attend in the country.
Mzumbe University offers undergraduate and post-graduate programs in fields of specialization spanning the humanities, the arts, the natural sciences, the social sciences, the medical sciences, engineering, and technology.
Mzumbe University today comprises a large number of applicants and students, both full-time and part-time.
6. Open University of Tanzania
Open University of Tanzania which is often referred to as OUT is a government-owned Open university, this university has proven to be one of the best Tanzanian higher institutions and the first choice university of many admission seekers in the country.
The University, which took off with academic programmes in Arts, Science, and Medicine, is now a comprehensive citadel of learning with academic programmes in sixteen Faculties namely, Arts, Science, administration, Agriculture, the Social Sciences, Education, Technology, Law, Public Health, Economics, Renewable Natural Resources, and Environmental Design and Management.
7. Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences
Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences has consistently been rated among the top 10 best universities in the country, and so far, it is regarded as the best 7th university in the nation.
Indeed, Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences is expensive when it comes to tuition and miscellaneous fees, but the costs are being channelled into making the best out of the students as the university is classified as one of the world-leading Christian Mission Universities in Tanzania.
The institution started full operation in June 1994 after receiving license approval from the Government to operate as an independent private entity.
Being one of the top 10 best universities in Tanzania, Covenant University was established on the core values of Spirituality, Capacity Building, Positive Mentality, Integrity, Diligence and Sacrifice.
8. Mkwawa University College of Education
The Mkwawa University College of Education is another iconic institution for students that want to study education in Tanzania. Aside from the fact that it is one of the most respected universities in Tanzania, this institution has done some of the most impressive research and studies in Tanzania.
The Mkwawa University College of Education is part of the University of Dar es Salaam in Iringa, Tanzania. In response to the country’s increasing need for teachers, the College was created in 2005 after the upgrade of the old Mkwawa High School.
Aside from being a reliable institution for students pursuing a first degree, there are programs in the schools that reward students with excellent performance.
9. Ardhi University
Ardhi University (ARU)is another fantastic institution for everyone that plans to study in Tanzania. located in Dar es Salaam along University Road adjacent to the University of Dar es Salaam approx. 12.00 Kilometres from the Dar es Salaam CBD. Ardhi University was established on 28 March 2007 and stands as the first and most prominent university in Tanzania.
10. University of Iringa
Tumaini University, Iringa University College, which began as Iringa Lutheran College and Seminary, was established in 1995. It started providing University Certificate, Diploma, and Degree programs in 1997.
For eighteen years, it was known as University College, and it was Tanzania’s first private university. Graduates of this university have gone on to become important figures in the Lutheran ministry, law, and business across the nation.
Tumaini is also highly represented in national Ministries of Education, the Arts, and others. Tumaini graduates are highly valued in Tanzanian business. Many have gone on to pursue post-graduate degrees in Europe, America, and other African countries, and are making a name for themselves on a global scale.
Other Best Universities in Tanzania in 2021
- 11. Nelson Mandela African Institute of Science & Technology (World Rank: 8412)
- 12. Institute of Rural Development Planning (World Rank: 9000)
- 13. State University of Zanzibar(World Rank: 9745)
- 14. Hubert Kairuki Memorial University (World Rank: 10162)
- 15. St Joseph University in Tanzania ( World Rank: 11260)
- 16. Dar Es Salaam Institute of Technology(World Rank: 11466)
- 17. Kampala International University (World Rank: 12006)
- 18. Sumait University(World Rank: 12463)
- 19. Institute of Finance Management (World Rank: 13253)
- 20. Saint Augustine University of Tanzania (World Rank: 13330)
- 21. College of Business Education (World Rank: 13580)
- 22. Institute of Accountancy Arusha ( World Rank: 15906)
- 23. Tumaini University Makumira (World Rank: 15953)
- 24. Kilimanjaro Christian Medical University College (World Rank: 16191)
- 25. Saint John’s University of Tanzania (World Rank: 16536)
- 26. Zanzibar University (World Rank: 16578)
- 27. Dar es Salaam University College of Education (World Rank: 16654)
- 28. Moshi Co-operative University (World Rank: 16968)
- 29. Mount Meru University (World Rank: 17157)
- 30. Mwenge Catholic University( World Rank: 17350)
- 31. Mbeya University of Science & Technology (World Rank: 17477)
- 32. International Medical & Technological University (World Rank: 17731)
- 33. Muslim University of Morogoro (World Rank: 18068)
- 34. Teofilo Kisanji University (World Rank: 19033)
- 35. Mwalimu Nyerere Memorial Academy ( World Rank: 19252)
- 36. Arusha Technical College (World Rank: 19388)
- 37. Sebastian Kolowa Memorial University (World Rank: 19535)
- 38. University of Arusha ( World Rank: 20166)
- 39. United African University of Tanzania (World Rank: 2020/20214)
- 40. Jordan University College (World Rank: 20825)
- 41. St Francis University College of Health and Allied Sciences (World Rank: 20861)
- 42. Tumaini University Dar es Salaam College (World Rank: 20891)
- 43. Ruaha Catholic University (World Rank: 20945)
- 44. Tumaini University Stefano Moshi Memorial University College (World Rank: 21032)
- 45. University of Bagamoyo UoB Dar es Salaam (World Rank: 21278)
- 46. Archbishop Mihayo University College of Tabora (World Rank: 21431)
- 47. Stella Maris Mtwara University College (World Rank: 21431)
- 48. Tanzanian Training Centre for International Health (World Rank: 22137)
- 49. Josiah Kibira University College (World Rank: 23025
So that’s our ranking. Do a little bit of personal research into the ten universities above, and you’re sure going to know the one to pick as an undergraduate or a postgraduate student.