The Legal Services Facility (LSF) a registered non-government Organization (NGO) with Registration No. 00NGO/R2/00011. It is a basket fund created to channel funding on equal opportunity basis to organizations which are providing legal aid and paralegal services in Tanzania mainland and Zanzibar. These services assist individuals to claim their rights, redress grievances and protect their fundamental human rights.
The LSF manages a basket fund to which DANIDA and the EU are contributors. It operates as grant maker with the overall goal to increase access to justice through a legal empowerment approach, in particular for women and girls. Through implementing partners, a paralegal cadre of around 4000 is supported, organized in 184 districts based paralegal organizations.
Post: Accounts & Finance Officer
Location: Dar es Salaam
Reports to: Senior Finance & Grants Officer
1.0 Job purposes
To effectively manage a portfolio of grants and provide support to grant holders in order to facilitate the delivery of quality projects on time and on budget. S/he coordinates the administrative and financial aspects of grants, and grantees agreements by reviewing budget completeness, and coordinates post award actions. Is responsible for timely preparations of all payments and proper management of cash, entry of financial data in the GL, and bank related activities.
2.0 Reporting lines
Accounts & Finance Officer will report to Senior Finance & Grants Officer.
3.0 Key responsibilities and tasks:
The main responsibilities of the Accounts and Finance Officer will include but not limited to the following:
Accounting and Finance
- Deal with banking and bank related issues including preparation of monthly bank reconciliation statements
- Maintain petty cash float and carry out all cash related matters.
- Raise journal and deposit vouchers on bank debit/credit advices and other transactions.
- Pre-audits, verifies, and processes employee expense claims reviewing rules for employee compliance.
- Prepare all payment, ensure payments to suppliers and payees (are well supported) and issued on time as presented.
- Ensure all payments receipts are received and attached to respective vouchers.
- Participate in LSF budgeting processes.
- Enter all financial data in the accounting system as required
- Assist in Preparation of financial reports and cash flow spread sheet on quarterly basis or as required by the management for decision making.
- Check staff working advances and maintain subsidiary ledgers for all staff working advances for control purposes and ensure that all working advances are accounted timely and properly.
- Facilitate other staff on financial issues e.g. budget management and provides assistance and training to others in the work unit.
- Prepare monthly salaries and statutory payments for all staff within the prescribed dates.
- Participate in audit processes including preparations, collaboration during the audit itself and in preparing audit responses.
- Monitor and fulfill all statutory and regulatory compliance as per Tanzanian laws and regulations. File all returns in accordance with the existing laws, dealing with taxation matters including VAT, cooperate tax, Withholding Tax and PAYE, Workers Compensation (WCF), Pension funds and Students Loan Board etc.
A combination of the experience, skills, and education listed below that provides an equivalent background to perform the work of this position.
Experience, Skills, and Education:
- Bachelor degree in Finance or Accounting.
- Experience of working in a similar job in an NGO for at least 3 years.
- Proficiency in Excel and MS Word
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Experience in budget review and monitoring with development projects
- Experience in budget analysis and cost controls in development projects
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively with teams
- Ability to prepare presentations and reports
- Willingness to work and travel in all project areas
- Grants management experience is an added advantage
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: If you are a Tanzanian and qualify for this post, please submit a single page application letter showing your suitability to the role with an updated Curriculum Vitae to http://erp.lsftz.org/ by Monday 03rd October, 2022. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. For a full job profile and information about LSF please visit LSF Website: www.lsftz.org: