About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It’s about showing how you embody our valued behaviours – do the right thing, better together and never settle – as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We’re committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
Officer, Financial Markets Operations – (2100018236)
Job: Chief Operating Officer
Primary Location: Africa & Middle East-Tanzania-Dar es Salaam
Employee Status: Permanent
Posting Date: 19/Jul/2021, 6:50:17 PM
Unposting Date: 03/Aug/2021, 1:59:00 AM
The Role Responsibilities
The role holder is responsible for end to end processing of Financial Markets and Securities Services products for in-country Financial Markets Operations. And serve as the focal point of contact by GBS on all outsourced processes
- To understand, implement and ensure compliance with country regulatory and global regulatory requirements with regards to Financial Markets and Securities Services products
- To work closely with GBS Hubs to ensure services delivered are of top quality and that customer’s needs are being attended to according to the service level agreements.
- To ensure that key business practices and service delivery processes are conducted in compliance with Group and country regulatory guidelines and those risks are identified and managed.
- To support Head Financial Markets Operations to deliver the Financial Markets and Securities Services business strategy as it relates to role.
- Provide governance over the service provided by the hubs and take ultimate responsibility for the level of service provided to Financial Markets Operations. Ensure processes supporting the country performed either onshore or offshore meet the minimum standards
- Management of the day to day operations to align to the business strategy and priorities, monitoring service issues and action plans to rectify it and work with the Head Financial Markets Operations to improve operational risk.
- Ensuring compliance with all Group and Country policies, Code of Conduct and consistency in execution, and to ensure that statutory regulations and laws as a corporate body are met and satisfied.
- Ensure day to day operating compliance with all relevant local and global regulatory requirements and industry best practice
- First point of contact locally for Sales/Trading Desks/Treasury Markets/ Rates/CMPS/ COO/ Product/ Business/ Regional Head with regards to FM and SS products
- Ensure a high level of customer service for internal and external customers
- New system testing and verification and determining appropriate action to be taken in new or unusual circumstances relating role.
- Maintain required standards of customer service quality, efficiency and productivity; and where necessary, analyse, review and develop methods of working to improve efficiency and reduce turnaround time
- Ensure compliance with all relevant laws & regulations, and that documented procedures are always up-to-date.
- Investigate and promptly resolve (or escalate) any irregularities observe within job role.
- Keep Head Financial Markets Operations informed of personal achievements and alert him/her immediately to situations requiring escalation.
- Contribute to and implement detailed testing of disaster recovery contingency plans
- Engage and follow up on local counterparts on failed trades to ensure same is closed timely while providing regular daily updates.
- Correctly apply local and group policies, procedures and circulars to transaction processing.
- Local subject matter expert for all outsourced processes and risk issues as well as the local contact/escalation point
- Coordination of errors, near misses and loss write ups impacting the location
- Investigation of outstanding transactions on FX Branch Suspense account and follow up to ensure that there is ownership for all items that are outstanding.
- Nostro, Suspense and Sundry management
- Perform Stock Reconciliation and review Custody Reconciliation breaks and advise GBS accordingly
- Preparation of regulatory returns ensuring timely delivery of quality and accurate information
- Message Control and reconciliations: – Receive client instructions, complete pre-processing checks, distribute and perform end of day reconciliation, complete call back/signature verification and N-Cap/EOP’s is accordance with Desk Operating instructions and Policy
- Equities and Fixed Income Settlements: – Carry out Settlements and General Banking activities in line with laid down procedures and all regulatory requirements, processing of equity, fixed income and money markets settlement, including ensuring sufficient funds, shares and credit limit, reviewing potential failed/failed trade until resolutions, Inward and outward claims and response to client’s inquiries in a timely manner and by providing accurate information
- Corporate actions: – Perform the day-to-day corporate actions’ processing in respect to: Processing of mandatory, voluntary corporate actions events and Proxy Voting including the timely dissemination of information to clients and disbursement of income proceeds.
- Master File Administration and Billing: – carry out Master File Administration and General Banking activities in line with laid down procedures and all regulatory requirements.
- Primary point of contact / escalation for external clients in terms of providing solutions, enquiries, complaints, resolving of discrepancies and transactional errors.
- Ensure the provision of the highest standards of client service in response to client enquiries and complaints in order to deliver best in class client service.
- Ensure incidents are managed and resolved in a timely manner. Actively engage with internal stakeholders and support functions to overcome obstacles in resolution of incidents while providing timely updates to client and internal stakeholders on progress made.
- Maximize the GEMS work tool to gain efficiency in directing and resolving client queries along with incident escalation protocol.
- Proactive client engagement and regular “pulse checks” for premier clients through due diligence visits, service reviews, proactive communication of market news, deeper understanding of clients’ need end to end, questionnaires completion, RFP, etc.
- Use GEMS incident user interface to ensure client complains are logged timely and accurately for auto system escalation communications to the appropriate senior management levels responsible to ensure full resolution of client issues and regularly update client on progress if the issue is taking longer than expected.
- Maintain a professional and positive SCB image through all interactions with clients.
- Continually identify opportunities to improve client efficiency and performance, through e.g. optimizing channel usage, identifying service improvements, product solutions
People and Talent
- Be a good example and observe the appropriate culture and values.
- Participation in cost & feasibility analysis for market & operational initiatives
- Participate in the implementation of local and global projects which impact the department’s processes
- Team player; work as a team and assist other team member when required
- Comply with Operational Risk Management and Controls.
- Ensure all reconciliation are investigated timely, controls are effectively exercised over all operational procedures to prevent frauds and avoid losses to the Bank.
- Proactively manage risk and identify any risk within the role and escalating to Head Financial Markets Operations and work with the Risk Manager to implement controls and mitigations.
- Demonstrate awareness and understanding of the main risks facing Financial Markets Operations and the job role in managing them and ensuring reasonable steps are taken in managing them
- Ensure identified control testing defects are resolved, including identification of root causes and any associated process changes required to minimize the probability of process failures
- Ensure completeness and accuracy of regulatory reports within Job Role but working with the regulatory reporting manager.
- Remain alert to the risk of money laundering and assist in the Bank efforts in combating it by adhering to the key principles in relation to: Identifying your customer, knowing your customer, reporting suspicions, safeguarding records and not disclosing suspicions to customers.
- Support Country Head FMO to execute risk and control responsibilities as a Country Process Owner
- Ensure operational incidents (losses or near misses) are logged in accordance with relevant polices
- Ensure root causes reports relating to operational incidents are completed in line with the Banks policies including meeting of all reporting time lines. This includes the implementation of any appropriate process and control changes to minimize the probability of a re-occurrence
- Identify and report all exceptions on non-compliance with standard controls
- Ensuring sustainable level of control is applied to daily processes to confirm minimal risk to the Bank (by monitoring and escalations)
- Review trend analysis of performance benchmark standards (straight through processing attainment, query resolution turnaround times etc)
- Responsible to ensure BCM framework adequately supports the business strategy
- Liaise with the front office and the GBS to ensure smooth processing of daily transactions and provide quick response to internal and external queries as well as customer queries.
- Reviewing of outstanding Financial Markets and Securities Services related transactions on the Nostro , Suspense and Sundry accounts and follow up with GBS for closure ensuring that there is ownership for all items that are outstanding.
- Track timely release of payments to clients’ accounts by GBS Cash Management Operations for intraday transactions in order to avoid customer complaints and putting the bank at risk of potential penalty charges
- Track to ensure all brokerage fees are processed by GBS and Country Finance timely
- Track client queries/ complaints to GBS and ensure they are resolved within turnaround time
- Collaborate with External and Internal audit management
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Support the Financial Markets Operations Tanzania to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: [Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.] *
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Vertical Heads
- Business/ Sales stakeholders
- Finance – country and Group
- Risk – country and Group
- Technology – country and Group
- Legal & Compliance – country and Group
- Internal and External auditors
- AME and Group FM MT
- Country COO/ CEO/ HR Head
- To perform any job or task resulting from urgent needs and those that may be assigned by Head FM Operations
Our Ideal Candidate
- Market Knowledge: – awareness and understanding of the wider business, economic and market environment in which the firm operates. Must be conversant with various regulations that impact financial markets in the location, specifically Local Regulators guidelines
- Business Strategy and Model: – awareness and understanding of the firm’s business strategy and model appropriate to the role
- Risk Management and Control: – ability to identify, assess, monitor, control and mitigate risks to. Also, awareness and understanding of the main risks facing the bank, Financial Markets and the role the individual plays in managing them.
- In-depth knowledge of banking operations
- Knowledge of Regulatory reporting requirement
- Proficient in PC Skills particularly Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Ability to work within a multi-function, multi-discipline team environment with good stakeholder management skills
- Understanding of Third-Party Risk Management
- Good communication, Interpersonal and excellent analytical skills.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience, preferably in a Financial institution
- Reasonably good at Financial accounting of Markets products.
- In-depth knowledge of banking operations and good analytical skills.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages. We welcome conversations on flexible working.