Bulyanhulu Gold Mine is seeking to recruit Boilermakers/ Welders to join our team. The successful candidate for this position is expected to align to the Barrick DNA and drive a change within his team and the business and on a practical note will ensure activities in the mining department are effectively planned and undertaken in a safe and cost effective manner to achieve targets in accordance to BGML Mining Safety Standards, Policies and Procedures.
Reporting to: Fabrication Workshop Supervisor
- Ensure safe work practices, i.e. attending compulsory safety courses and meetings, use of required PPE, incident/accident reporting and ensuring total adherence to all Safety, Occupational Health and Environmental Policies, as well as other relevant policies, procedures and guidelines
- Carry out mechanical repair and preventative maintenance to maintain Process Plant equipment in a safe and efficient manner to achieve production and cost targets.
- Interpretation ,access and reading of job specifications and relevant information
- Ensuring that the selection of materials for repairs, replacements and inspection comply with the required standards.
- Correct selection of hand power tools hand, welding equipment, thermal cutting equipment and thermal heating equipment and safety equipment for safe use.
- Understanding of engineering and structural drawings, interpreting sketches and drawings application of measuring equipment, marking, welding terms, codes and symbols and cutting tools
- Using oxy acetylene welding & cutting, thermal gouging and thermal heating.
- Interpretation of materials safety data sheets (MSDS)
- Planning of the logical sequence of welding operations
- Completion of basic welding, heating and cutting job cards/ work orders, hot work permit
- Carry out fabrication work and corrective maintenance to improve equipment availability, reliability, safety and functionality.
- Ensure that maintenance practices result in maximum HME equipment availability. Meeting or exceeding planned HME equipment availability is a Key Performance Indicator.
- Assist other mechanical tradesmen in maintenance work as required.
- Complete assigned work in a timely manner with minimum supervision and to an internationally acceptable standard.
- Ensure First Line leader and all stakeholders are kept informed on equipment availability status.
- Actively participate in training activities to gain new skills, develop full potential and assume increasing accountability.
- Under the direction of the First Line leader, provide appropriate on-the-job training and coaching to less experience personnel.
- Follow Safe Work Procedures and other maintenance procedures.
- Carry out any other duties as assigned by the First Line leader within your capacity without jeopardizing Health and safety.
- Ordinary secondary education (Form IV)
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License with defensive driving skills
- Basic knowledge of U/G paste systems, mine rescue and valid First Aid certificates will be an added advantage
- Must have a minimum of 3 years work experience in underground mining operation
- Must have detailed knowledge and experience in the operation of multiple metal cutting, welding and fabrication methods.
SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Excellent communication in English ,both writing and verbal
- Hazard identification and Risk assessment
- Mine health &Safety Act awareness
- Must have good understanding of underground mining operations and solid safety performance at the personal and professional level
- Must be able to read and understand designed paste line and equipment plans, detailed engineered prints and layouts