The East, Central and Southern Africa Health Community (ECSA-HC) is a regional organization set up in 1974 to foster cooperation that will lead to the strengthening of health programs in the region and promote attainment of the highest possible standards of health in its member countries.
The Member States of the ECSA Health Community are Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Eswatini, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Background of the College of Surgeons for the East, Central and Southern Africa (COSECSA).
The College of Surgeons for the East, Central and Southern Africa (COSECSA) is a professional body that fosters postgraduate education in surgery.
The college delivers a common surgical training programme with a common examination and an internationally recognized surgical qualification.
The primary objective is to advance education, training, standards, research and practice in surgical care in this region. The College currently operates in 14 countries in the Sub- Saharan region: Kenya, Botswana, Burundi, Ethiopia, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Overall Purpose of the Job
The ECSA-HC is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons who are nationals of Member States for the post of Finance Officer for the College of Surgeons for the East, Central and Southern Africa (COSECSA).
The Finance Officer will be responsible for managing the financial resources of COSECSA by ensuring that proper accounting records are maintained and reports are generated in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance with COSECSA and regulatory requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Financial Planning and Analysis
- Lead the COSECSA planning and budgeting process including the institutional, project and activity budgets
- Provide financial projections for the College in consultation with the Treasurer and
- Monitor budget execution and ensure that all COSECSA expenditures are within the approved budgets and that only approved expenditure is inquired.
- Prepare periodic reports as required including budget versus actual revenue and expenditures and justification for significant variances
- Work with the COSECSA team to develop activity budgets before the implementation of key activities
4.2 Financial Management
- Track and update all student and fellows income including programme registration, examination, graduation and annual subscription fees.
- Maintain up-to-date financial records in the accounting system including expenditures, assets, liabilities, cash-flow and for all project assignments at COSECSA.
- Track donor reporting timelines and submit accurate financial reports as per donor
- Reconcile transactions between COSECSA head office and the country chapter
accounts and maintain a clear record of outstanding receivable and/or payable balances
- Prepare timely and accurate financial disbursement requests to ECSA-HC through the COO for COSECSA activities.
- Ensure that country disbursement requests and accountability reports are received on time.
- Process imperest payments to staff and follow up for timely accountability and booking
of related expenses.
- Prepare monthly financial reports for discussion with the COO
- Prepare quarterly financial reports for submission to the COSECSA Council
- Process monthly reconciliations including bank reconciliations, payables and receivables
- Track fixed assets and record depreciation. xii. Process supplier payments on a timely basis
- Process monthly payroll as well as payment of statutory deductions xiv. Assist with the monthly end closing of the accounts
4.3 Audit and Internal Controls
Work with the ECSA HC Finance Director to ensure that all policies and procedures relating to audit are respected and audits carried out in a timely manner.
Work with the COO-COSECSA and ECSA-HC to formulate and implement new policies as and when required.
Ensure strict internal controls to ensure compliance with ECSA-HC and Donor requirements and support the COSECSA team to adhere.
Ensure proper supporting documents are maintained and accessible
Lead the audit support required for the COSECSA books of accounts from field work upto the signing of the audit reports
Programme and Technical Support
i. Support the COO in the development of budgets/financial proposals for concept notes and activity proposals to new and existing donors
ii. Compile end project financial reports for submission to the Collaboration Partners
iii. Work with the examination officers to ensure only trainees who have cleared their fees are
eligible to register for training and/or sit examinations
iv. Compile project reports in conjunction with relevant COSECSA technical staff.
v. Any other support that might be required by the team
Qualifications and Work Experience
i. A first degree in Business Management and Accounting or any other related discipline ii.
A Master’s degree in the relevant field will be an added advantage
i. Minimum of five years’ work experience in accounting or business management
ii. Five years’ experience in financial management of Donor funded projects
iii. Experience in transactional accounting specifically the input of financial data into an accounting system
iv. Experience in financial accounting and preparation of financial reports and donor reports v. Experience in using MS Office and common accounting software packages
vi. Working knowledge of SAP Accounting programme
Essential Skills and Competencies Required
- Good communication and report writing skills.
- Capacity to work in a multicultural environment
- Project management skills and experience
- Team player with strong team work skills
Language: Fluency in both spoken and written English
Age: Applicants must be aged between 30 and 45 years of age
Contract Appointment; This will be a two-year contract appointment renewable upon satisfactory performance and subject to availability of funding.
An attractive package at officer level will be offered to the right candidate. The package details may be obtained on request from the Director General, ECSA Health Community, Arusha Tanzania.
Method of Application
Nationals of members States who wish to apply for the Post should do so by submitting the following:
- Brief Application Letter stating why the candidate feels suitable for the Post
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae.
- Completed Application form for ECSA-HC posts (available under vacancies/opportunities > jobs on www.ecsahc.org
- Certified copies of Educational and Professional Certificates
- Names of three (3) referees with their addresses including telephone, fax and e- mail
Applications should reach the address below by 15th October 2021.
The Director General
East, Central and Southern Africa-Health Community
Plot 157 Oloirien, Njiro Road
P.O. Box 1009
E-mail: [email protected] with copies to [email protected]; [email protected]