- Job Title: Senior Information Technology Officer
- Grade: 8 (N)
- Level: Manager 1
- Division: Administration
- Department: Information Technology (IT) Location: Kasulu, Tanzania
This position is primarily responsible for taking lead in ensuring the effective, efficient, and secure operation of all computer systems within the RSC Africa Kasulu office by managing all activities related to IT. The position leads IT support in the Kasulu office for programs and administrative staff, coordinates regional circuit rides, provides technical maintenance on software and hardware, and supervises the IT Officer.
The position directly supervises the IT Officer, Kasulu.
The Senior IT Officer reports to the Head of Office, Kasulu, with a dotted line report to the Nairobi-based IT Manager.
- Achieves and maintains thorough knowledge and adherence to established RSC Africa, CWS/IRP, DOS/PRM and USCIS policies and procedures regarding database management for the Pre USCIS case file
- Takes lead in managing the day-to-day running, maintenance, administration, and development of IT facilities in RSC Africa’s Kasulu
- Plans, organizes, controls, and evaluates the operations of information systems and electronic data processing in the satellite
- Maintains the security and the integrity of the server and network infrastructure, which includes communication systems, user endpoints, and the entire information
- Compliance management; enforces the adoption of the NIST 800-53 security framework controls and other legal information systems requirements in Tanzania. This includes recommending, maintaining (documenting), and enforcing written IT policies, standards, and procedures.
- Supervises the IT Officer; this includes performance reviews, training, mentoring, and monitoring time and
- Oversees staff IT support, resolves escalated helpdesk requests, and monitors the helpdesk system in coordination with the Nairobi based IT Support
- Manages the satellite office IT projects in close coordination with the Nairobi based IT This includes handling multiple project responsibilities simultaneously, prioritizing work and resolving technical emergencies as they may occur.
- Manages the maintenance schedule and carries out the repair (where possible) and upgrade of the satellite office’s IT hardware and
- Identifies staff IT training needs, plans, and delivers IT training to information systems users including new hires IT orientation in coordination with the Training
- Ensures business continuity by providing complete backup of all computer systems and infrastructure in case of system failure or
- Works closely with the Admin unit to ensure that they keep an updated IT equipment
- Liaises with RPC IT staff in Washington DC on WRAPS/START administration, circuit rides support, security compliance and providing any other remote technical
- Liaises with the IT staff at Nairobi (as necessary) on various IT issues including the implementation of modern technologies, coordinating office installations and supporting circuit rides in the
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned to enhance the effectiveness and integrity of RSC Africa satellite office IT systems for the benefit of the refugee processing
- Bachelor’s degree in an IT field is
- Other advanced IT related professional training is
- 8 years of paid work experience is
- 6 years of experience in IT related field is
- 3 years’ experience in managing, maintaining and design of computer systems, preferably Windows based, is
- Experience in managing major IT projects is
Knowledge / Skills:
- Strong knowledge in domain management and Active directory
- Strong knowledge in Microsoft 365
- Strong knowledge and skills in Windows server 2016 setup and
- Strong knowledge and working experience with administration of database systems, especially MS SQL
- Strong knowledge in VMWare – virtualization
- Strong knowledge in data leak, loss, and encryption methods (McAfee or any other)
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft licensing
- Strong, up-to-date knowledge in systems security in a large network
- Knowledge in networking (LAN, WLAN and VPN), especially with Cisco managed devices (Firewalls, Routers, and switches)
- Knowledge of TCP/IP Architecture and OSI
- Strong knowledge of using and managing IT Helpdesk
- Good problem-solving skills and willingness to constantly renew required
- Knowledge in Intrusion prevention and detection systems (Cisco Firepower or any other)
- Troubleshooting and problems solving skills in a Windows based
- Knowledge in software development languages and software design is a
- Knowledge in Linux Servers administration is a
- Discuss technical information with users of diverse technical levels and discern their needs;
- Communicate technical reports effectively at any level;
- Initiate, facilitate, oversee and negotiate IT projects;
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
- Follow instructions from the supervisor with a positive and receptive attitude;
- Deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, applicants and members of the general public;
- Conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of RSC Africa and CWS/IRP;
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
- Carry out all of the duties of the position efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision;
- Work independently and contribute to overall operations at management level;
- Take initiative in the development and completion of projects;
- Lead others and address issues as they arise;
- Maintain strict confidentiality with RSC Africa administrative and operational information;
- Manage a large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities;
- Analyze and solve complex problems;
- Work well as a team in a multi-cultural environment while maintaining a high level of motivation;
- Effectively manage RSC Africa satellite office’s resources;
- Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Government Operational Refugee Processing Program in
Physical: This position requires the employee to be able to bend, squat, sit, stand, walk, push/pull, handle objects (manual dexterity), reach above shoulder level, and use fine finger movements.
Environmental: Primarily indoors in a general office working environment Incumbents in this position will be exposed to marked changes in temperature and/or humidity; dust, fumes, gases, radiation, infectious diseases etc.; driving of motorized equipment/vehicle; working in confined quarters.
Special Requirements: Certificate of Good Conduct issued within the last one year (12 months) is required before the start of employment.
Candidates must pass a typing and comprehensive writing skills test in English to be considered for an interview.
The candidate should be willing to work overtime on weekdays and weekends as required.
Licensing/Certification: Industry certifications in areas of IT required.
Certificate of Good Conduct is required before the start of employment.
Ensure effective exchanges of information with others. Examples of skills and behaviors include
speaking to others respectfully; expressing ideas in a logical, organized way; sharing information appropriately; and clarity and conciseness in written communication.
Ensure constructive and supportive interactions with others. Examples of skills and behaviors include being positive and supportive when working with others; sharing information and resources freely; resolving conflict constructively; and proactively working to remove obstacles to success for others.
Utilize and apply job related knowledge to complete job tasks at a level that meets or exceeds expectations. Examples of skills and behaviors include utilizing job knowledge to solve problems or develop new approaches; maintaining or enhancing skills through continuing education; and taking on projects that will develop or enhance skills.
Work effectively and contribute as a member of a team. Examples of skills and behaviors include supporting other team members by sharing information; covering the work of others during absences, vacations etc.; and actively participating in developing ideas for ways to increase team effectiveness.
Analyze information and develop solutions to challenges that arise during the course of performing a job. Examples of skills and behaviors include researching and collecting facts; defining the issues and the parties affected; formulating options/solutions for addressing the problem; and engendering support for and implementing the solution.
Successfully lead a group to achieve operational goals. Examples of skills and behaviors include priority setting; timely decision making; planning and organizing; delegation; and managing and measuring work.
Building and Leading Effective Teams
Earn the respect of team members, create strong morale and spirit on the team and utilize the unique skills of all team members. Examples of skills and behaviors include managing diverse relationships; flexibility; being open and receptive; running effective team meetings; and exhibiting integrity and trustworthiness.
Accurately anticipate future consequences and trends and translate them into the fulfillment of workable strategies and plans. Examples of skills and behaviors include problem solving; dealing with ambiguity, creativity; innovation management and business acumen