- Job Title: Head of Office, Kasulu
- Grade: 10 (I)
- Level: Level 3 Manager
- Division: Administration
- Location: Kasulu, Tanzania
This position is responsible for the management of the CWS operated Resettlement Support Center Africa (RSC Africa) satellite office based in Kasulu, Tanzania. This includes coordinating workflow within the Kasulu satellite office and collaborating with other program and administration departments in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam. This position ensures that RSC Africa processing priorities and targets are met and that standard operating procedures are strictly followed. The position is responsible for operations, program, staff management, and overall oversight of the Kasulu satellite office. The position is a member of the RSC Africa Leadership Team.
The position directly supervises Field Processing Supervisors, Cultural Orientation Supervisor, ARDU Supervisor, Administration Supervisor and Senior IT Officer
This position reports to the Country Representative based in Dar es Salaam and works very closely with both program and administration divisions in Nairobi, Kenya.
Program M anagement and Administration
- Provides leadership and overall management to the Kasulu satellite
- Oversees all aspects of program management, employee relations, and compliance with CWS, RSC, PRM, and USCIS policies and procedures at the Kasulu satellite
- Consults with the Country Representative, RSC Africa Director, and Program leadership and provides effective leadership to refugee case processing activities, including identifying strategies to efficiently move cases
- Ensures a professional workforce that is responsive to the needs of the funder, clients, partners and CWS
- Oversees timely and effective implementation of the organization’s strategic goals and annual plans at the Kasulu
- Determines annual staff modelling for the Kasulu satellite office to effectively meet program needs and
- Identifies challenges to achieving program targets as they arise in Kasulu and, in conjunction
with Dar es Salaam, Nairobi, and other operational partners, identifies and implements timely responses.
- Manages the Kasulu satellite office inputs to human resources activities for all Kasulu staff,
including hiring, evaluations, leave management, and disciplinary actions.
- Oversees the use of the budget as it relates to the Kasulu satellite office and monitors effective and appropriate use of resources across
- Monitors project implementation against work plans and provide guidance to unit
- Develops, coordinates, and manages stakeholder engagement to ensure quality implementation and expansion of CWS programs in
- Maintains regular contacts with Relief, Development and Protection (RDP) program staff and provides logistical support to the RDP programs in North Western
Administration and Budget
- Provides direct oversight of logistics, general services, information technology, finance, and human resource functions of the Kasulu satellite
- Participates in the budget-making process and relays budgetary needs of the office to the Country Representative, the Finance Manager, the RSC Africa Director, and the Deputy Director for
- Manages the Kasulu satellite office budget and ensures efficient and cost-effective running of the
- Ensures that administrative policies support RSC Africa values and are in compliance with the Cooperative Agreement, relevant OMB Circulars, and PRM and CWS
- Provides leadership to ensure good stewardship of financial resources and RSC assets, including participation in annual financial
- Works closely with the Human Resources Department and serves as a primary point of contact
for all HR-related questions for the Kasulu office staff.
- Leads recruitment and hiring of office staff in coordination with the Country Representative and the Nairobi-based management
- Ensures that the Kasulu satellite office complies with laws and regulations of Tanzania and that all program and administrative functions in Kasulu strictly adhere to the programmatic and administrative policies, guidelines and procedures and donor requirements
- Ensures all refugee case processing functions within the Kasulu satellite office strictly adhere to the DOS/BPRM, USCIS, RPC, CWS and RSC Africa policies, guidelines and
- Monitors policy changes and ensures the timely and effective implementation of policies and case processing
- Ensures that there is effective coordination between the Programs division, Data Integrity,
Program Integrity and Human Resources units in identifying staff training needs and organizing/developing training activities that respond to these needs.
- Puts in place systems and mechanisms to ensure compliance with policies and guidelines, and
monitors compliance and adherence to the SOPs to ensure consistent work output.
- Schedules regular process reviews to ensure effectiveness of the main functions of the Kasulu satellite office and compares requirements, processes versus
Representation and External Relations
- Maintains regular communication with the Country Representative based in Dar es Salaam Tanzania, the Senior Management Team and Senior Programs Team at RSC Africa, Nairobi,
- Maintains collaborative and productive working relationships with USRAP partners, including US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
- Ensures partner and donor communication is professional, timely and
- Conducts periodic work travel in the region to maintain strong relations with partners’ regional
- Ensures CWS RSC Africa staff are professional when representing CWS to beneficiaries, partners, funders, colleagues and the
- Provides direct supervision and leadership to Field Team Supervisors, Cultural Orientation Supervisor, ARDU Supervisor, Administration Supervisor, and Senior IT Officer, including yearly performance evaluations, monitoring professional development, and coordinating
- In coordination with Dar es Salaam and Nairobi offices, oversees the development and implementation of training modules for Kasulu staff and ensures that staff receive all necessary training to perform their
- Ensures that coaching, mentoring, feedback and corrective action plans are being carried out across the office and coordinates with Human Resource Department
- Oversees on-boarding of new staff, establishes performance expectations, monitors staff performance and provides objective feedback on a timely and regular
- Maintains accurate and current job descriptions for the Kasulu satellite
- Serves as the primary point of contact for all responses regarding security or emergency health crises that may arise at the RSC Africa Kasulu satellite office, in conjunction with the Security Risk Manager, the Country Representative, the Regional Representative, the RSC Africa Director and the CWS
- Ensures well-being of Kasulu satellite office staff is maintained at all
- Promotes a workplace that provides safe space for all and upholds open door and escalation policies.
- Establishes and communicates expectations to staff to ensure a predictable and consistent work
- Provides a safe, healthy and professional work
This position also undertakes other duties as assigned by CWS/RSC Africa Management.
- Bachelor’s Degree or four (4) years of relevant paid work experience in lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree required;
- Master’s Degree
- Ten (10) years of paid work experience is
- Minimum of 5 years direct supervisory experience with an international organization is required
- Experience in managing a diverse staff, and the ability to lead teams in a multi-cultural environment is
- Experience with staff performance management and conflict resolution is
- Experience ensuring compliance with government-funded projects is
- Demonstrated management experience with a refugee serving/processing agency(s)
- Previous experience at an RSC
- Knowledge of US federal government contract regulations;
- Thorough knowledge of the US Refugee Admissions Program and WRAPS
- Ability to lead projects to completion on time, in compliance with donor requirements, within budget, and with the anticipated
- Advanced computer knowledge, specifically with MS Access, MS Outlook, MS Excel and other statistical analysis
- Strong English communication skills, both oral and
- Strong analytical skills and excellent report-generation skills with the ability to understand, process and document information for a variety of
- Strong supervisory skills and understanding of performance management
- Excellent organizational and time management
- Knowledge of budgeting and budget
The Head of Office must have the ability to:
- obtain a US and a Kenyan visa to attend meetings and/or conferences in the US and Kenya as needed.
- work and make decisions independently and contribute to overall operations at management
- exercise good judgement and seek guidance as appropriate when confronted with unanticipated
- travel on short notice and often under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program.
- communicate effectively both verbally and in
- follow instructions with a positive and receptive
- deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, refugees and members of the general
- conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of CWS RSC
- maintain a high performance standard with attention to
- carry out all of the duties of the position efficiently and effectively with minimal
- work independently and contribute to overall operations of CWS RSC
- take initiative in the development and completion of projects within the specified
- maintain strict confidentiality with CWS RSC Africa administrative and operational
- manage a large and diverse workload under pressure with competing
- work well as a team in a multi-cultural environment while maintaining a high level of
- effectively manage CWS RSC Africa’s resources, and
- actively participate in the implementation of the S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
Special Requirements: Background check which includes references, qualification, credit and criminal checks is required before the start of employment. A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel. The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must be legally eligible to work and obtain a work permit in Tanzania. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for CWS RSC Africa. Employee will be entrusted with the receipt, custody and payment of money.
Ensure effective exchanges of information with others. Examples of skills and behaviors include speaking
to others respectfully; expressing ideas in a logical, organized way; sharing information appropriately; and clarity and conciseness in written communication.
Ensure constructive and supportive interactions with others. Examples of skills and behaviors include being positive and supportive when working with others; sharing information and resources freely; resolving conflict constructively; and proactively working to remove obstacles to success for others.
Utilize and apply job related knowledge to complete job tasks at a level that meets or exceeds expectations. Examples of skills and behaviors include utilizing job knowledge to solve problems or develop new approaches; maintaining or enhancing skills through continuing education; and taking on projects that will develop or enhance skills.
Work effectively and contribute as a member of a team. Examples of skills and behaviors include supporting other team members by sharing information; covering the work of others during absences, vacations etc.; and actively participating in developing ideas for ways to increase team effectiveness.
Analyze information and develop solutions to challenges that arise during the course of performing a job. Examples of skills and behaviors include researching and collecting facts; defining the issues and the parties affected; formulating options/solutions for addressing the problem; and engendering support for and implementing the solution.
Successfully lead a group to achieve operational goals. Examples of skills and behaviors include priority setting; timely decision making; planning and organizing; delegation; and managing and measuring work.
Building and Leading Effective Teams
Earn the respect of team members, create strong morale and spirit on the team and utilize the unique skills of all team members. Examples of skills and behaviors include managing diverse relationships; flexibility; being open and receptive; running effective team meetings; and exhibiting integrity and trustworthiness.
Accurately anticipate future consequences and trends and translate them into the fulfillment of workable strategies and plans. Examples of skills and behaviors include problem solving; dealing with ambiguity, creativity; innovation management and business acumen.