Responsible for overseeing and providing leadership to all Human Resource and Administration strategies countrywide including recruitment and retention, training and development, compensation and benefits, compliance, employee relations, budget management, administer information on unit 4 system
HR Strategy and Policy Development
- Leads in the process of developing and implementing HR strategic initiatives or plans that are aligned to the Tanzania country strategy and ensures continuous improvement of processes and systems.
- Work closely with HQ to develop HR policies and ensure that they are implemented and maintained in alignment with organizational priorities and demands as well as Tanzania Labor laws. In line with this, develop HR tools that are supportive of the policies within the organization.
- In coordination with HQ, update, review and maintain HR manuals and handbooks for employees and provide proper interpretation on the same
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, contributes to developing country HR specific needs and objectives and any change management strategies.
- Supports managers in change management, restructuring, team building, and addressing organizational challenges through diagnosing issues and working collaboratively with staff and management for solutions.
- Collects, analyze and interpret information about changes in the operational environment, through staff survey and identify key HR issues for management’s attention
- Provides coaching and advise to management regarding interpretation and execution of HR policies and procedures and compliance with applicable legislation and regulations.
- Supports the development of an organizational culture that reflects Medical Teams values
- Participate in the development of Country HR budget development for proposals and assist in reporting on HR budget expenditures, detecting deviations and recommending corrections
- Ensure that all staff fill in timesheets and that HR process are in line with specific Donor requirements
Recruitment, Selection & Retention
- Develop and maintain an efficient recruitment process that attracts top talent and streamlines recruitment activities utilizing Human Resource technology. ( i.e Unit 4 ERP system )
- Coordinate recruitment processes for the country office and support field office recruitment as needed.
- Ensure HR Officers and Program Managers are familiar with tracking staffing levels and managing personnel budget
- Develops an innovative approach to retaining talent, with a focus on in rural posting
- Advises management on the most suitable approaches to fill open positions that will maximize on cost, time and candidate’s quality.
- Advises in the process of making offers to candidates and ensure that offers are competitive, equitable and cost effective
- Provides leadership in the induction and onboarding processes in collaboration with managers.
- Ensure that exit interviews are undertaken with all staff leaving the organization and use staff retention strategies as needed.
Team & Department Management
- Take leadership and manage two HR officers ensuring clarity over plans and priorities, provide supervision, guidance and mentoring, encouraging effective teamwork and inclusiveness and building a team spirit through regular meetings.
- Creates structured opportunities to encourage learning of direct reports, ensuring continuous performance evaluations and reviews are undertaken as appropriate.
- Ensure HR Officers are equipped with the relevant materials to lead staff trainings on HR policies and procedures.
- Conduct field visits to train HR Officers and lead staff trainings as needed.
- Identify staff training needs and source relevant trainings to address gaps.
- Support and train HR Officers on the use of Unit 4 as well as verifying personal information on the system
- Complete all monthly, quarterly, and annual reports as required by donors and MTI management
- Regularly review HR processes to ensure maximum effectiveness and train HR Officers accordingly in systems and procedures
- Oversees performance Management process and provide coaching when disciplinary procedures are needed in line with MTI policy
- Take charge of administrative roles performed by the admin assistants
Manage HR Business Processes
- Oversee the management of all contracts that relate to service providers such as staff medical insurance, Staff accommodation leases, and staff members are accurate and renewed in good time.
- Ensures that personnel files are maintained and contain relevant and up to date staff information.
- Ensures the timely and accurate processing of the national staff payroll in compliance with statutory requirements.
- Ensures high level of confidentiality regarding personnel data and ensure that all employee information is kept up to date, is complete and held in a secure place.
- Implements strategies to use Human Resource Information Systems (i.e., Unit4 ERP) for maximum effectiveness of HR Resources and ensures data integrity.
- Conducts budget needs analysis and ensures donor compliance for all HR related reporting and compliance.
- Complete all monthly, quarterly, and annual reports as required by donors and MTI management
Manage Staff Learning and Development
- Advises staff and managers on use and interpretation of the performance management system and advise on managing poor and outstanding performance and linking performance review to annual increments and learning and development.
- With the senior management team and managers ensure that performance management is implemented effectively.
- Support managers to build and develop the capacity of staff through the provision of tools and information that relate to coaching, performance management and human resource development plans.
- Collaborates with the Senior Management Team to ensure managers at all levels of the organization are equipped with the knowledge and skillset to effectively manage their teams.
- Leads HR Team to develop comprehensive staff training and development plan with a focus on career development and continuous mentorship.
Manage Compensation and Benefits Schemes
- Work with HQ in developing, implementing and managing compensation and benefits policies and schemes (including terms of conditions of employment, contracts and medical insurance) for Tanzania staff, in line with local labor law.
- Lead the field office in participating in periodic market surveys and make recommendations on pay and benefits based on market data.
Employee Relations and Legal Compliance
- Work closely with Senior Management Team to ensure compliance with Tanzania labor laws; take appropriate actions to anticipate and minimize litigation risks.
- Play an advisory role and participate in disciplinary procedures and grievances including conducting investigations if required
- In close collaboration with the Senior Management Team, take lead in the development of staff wellness/care schemes and ensure that the overall staff wellbeing is taken into consideration through policy and practice.
- Leads the communication and implementation of Global Policies and compliance standards. (i.e., PSEA, Code of Conduct, Accountability of Affective People, etc.)
- Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s Degree in human resources, Business Psychology, Business Administration with a focus in Human Resources or related degree is required.
Master’s Degree in Human Resources is preferred.
Senior Professional in HR – International is preferred.
- 5 years of progressive experience managing HR operations is required
- Experience working with ERP systems is required
- Experience working with a large INGO is an added advantage
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- In-depth knowledge of human resource management principles and best practices including employee relations, compensation and benefits, Human Resource policy and procedures, and staffing management.
- In-depth knowledge of Tanzania employment legislation and regulations
- Knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning Systems (ERP Unit 4) and Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of humanitarian staffing needs; knowledge of emergency responses is an added advantage
- Highly skilled in developing leaders and managing a team
- Demonstrated employee relation skills
- Skilled in implementing strategic actions that benefit the longevity of the organization
- Skilled in analyzing data for reporting and making data-driven decisions
- Skilled in creative problem solving and navigating ‘gray’ areas
- Skilled in using database systems to improve workflow
- Highly organized and able to manage competing priorities to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills both written and auditory
- Excellent cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop relationships that build effective recruitment networks
- Ability to remain impartial in resolving conflict
- Ability to lead investigations and resolve complex employee relations issues
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential matters with the highest level of professionalism
- Proactive with a keen desire to improve systems
- Ability to support MTI Calling and adhere to the MTI Code of Conduct
NOTE: The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department or organization. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by Medical Teams International as the requirements of the job change.
- All interested applicants who meet the criteria should email their application letter and CV in either PDF or Word only, including three work related referee to: [email protected]
- Indicate your expected salary, current/previous salary, and notice period at the bottom of your CV.
- Indicate clearly the position applied for in the subject line” Manager HR & Administration”.
- Application Deadline: 7th of January 2022 at 1700HRS.