Job Summary: The Senior Food Processing Specialist is the technical lead overseeing the provision of strategic advisory services to food processors and other clients at country level in coordination with Partners in Food Solutions and corporate volunteer experts.
S/he oversees all engagements with selected clients, and collaborates with other team members in-country and across the project, to ensure coordinated and impactful implementation.
Reports to AINFP Program Manager-Tanzania
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
Client Relationship Management
- In coordination with other team members identify clients (processors, industry bodies, aggregators etc.) that can have an impact on the availability of nutritious food products and on broader food systems.
- Clearly identify and document their aspirations and challenges; plot a mutually agreed intended impact and route to reach it.
- Plan activities to ensure that the shared objectives are met within the set times and resources and that impact is maximized.
- Effectively manage, maintain and nurture the relationship with these clients.
- Ensure regular and responsive communication to monitor progress, identify problems at an early stage and respond to them.
Coordination of Technical Assistance
- Clearly communicate to clients the full range of support that is available to them from TechnoServe and through PFS.
- Provide on-the-ground support for implementation of technical advice, on issues identified by the business diagnostic.
- Source and facilitate relevant expertise from PFS partner company volunteer experts to support the food processors. Liaise between volunteers and processors to ensure clear expectations and smooth communication.
- Ensure PFS Technical Leads are fully informed on progress, challenges and successes
- In collaboration with other team members at country and regional level develop and deliver standardized trainings and quick win solutions to less sophisticated clients with simpler technical and business needs.
- Facilitate university student internships / apprenticeship initiative with processors, whereby interns will be assigned for a defined period to provide technical support and address identified issues.
- Mobilize new companies for customized technical support.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- In coordination with the M&E Manager, manage collection of client data, review data for accuracy.
- Contribute towards explanations of metric results and provide input to recommendations to adapt program approach as necessary to maximize impact.
- Provide anecdotal evidence of impact, including success stories, case studies and lessons learnt
- Ensure activities carried out are in accordance with TechnoServe and donor requirements.
Sector Wide Trainings
- Support the program Capacity Development Lead, PFS experts and local training institutes with technical input on identification of appropriate topics and development of curricula for sector wide training in support of broader industry development.
- Mobilise the Food Processors representatives to attend SWT Course
Strategic and Innovative Thinker
- Identifies opportunities and builds strategic relationships with other organizations to help achieve identified goals.
- Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn and actively applies new knowledge and skill.
- Analyses both successes and failures for clues to improvement.
- Innovative to try new ideas to find solutions
- Analytical, able to diagnose problems, identify the key issues, and think strategically to evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical, and acceptable solution. Works persistently to overcome obstacles
- Asks questions and seeks out information from multiple sources, learns from mistakes, sees change as an opportunity.
- Works cooperatively and flexibly with other members of the team to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Effectively plans, schedules, and prioritizes activities.
- Able to take ownership of decisions on areas of responsibility but show sound judgment in escalating issues where necessary.
- Listens openly and effectively and ensures accurate understanding; able to adjust communication to the needs of the audience and work at multiple levels; facilitates the open exchange of ideas and information in individual and group situations.
- Transparent in dealings with others, admits mistakes, and is trusted. Inspires confidence in the team of honest intentions and fairness.
- Able to analyze and express themselves clearly in business writing.
These are the requirements that any qualified candidate must meet. Typically includes
- Degree in food science, food nutrition or a related degree, preferably Master’s level.
Experience that would make a candidate more desirable.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the food industry or as a consultant to the industry
- Good knowledge and understanding of the challenges of food processing in Africa, both technical and business
- Previous work on a donor-funded program, ideally USAID
- Design and delivery of trainings
- Managing local consultants/BDS providers
- Fluency to speak, read and write in English and Kiswahili is essential
- Willingness and ability to travel within Tanzania.
- It is envisaged that this position will be managing some consultants and interns
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a non-returnable single Word-formatted document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history. The final deadline for application is February 13, 2022. Women are encouraged to apply.
Please identify the position for which you are applying for in the subject line. Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered or contacted. No phone calls please.