The Sugar Industry is one of the largest agro-based industries in Tanzania. The Industry provides substantial direct and indirect employment in the form of people engaged in growing sugarcane, sugar manufacturing and in the provision of inputs, services, agro-service agencies, transport and social services. Sugarcane from which sugar is manufactured is a major cash crop and sugar is a strategic commodity for domestic and industrial uses and in the development of Tanzania.
Desirously of developing the Sugar Industry and ensure its growth and sustainability, Key Stakeholders of Sugar Industry, established the SIDTF for funding Sugar Industry Research and Training activities, through contributions from sugar manufactured, as determined by the Trust Fund. The SIDTF is managed by the Board of Trustees representing the Government (Ministry of Agriculture and the Sugar Board of Tanzania), Tanzania Sugar Producers Association (TSPA) and Cane Growers AMCOS.
POSITION: LEGAL OFFICER
SIDTF is looking for a dynamic and competent individual with knowledge, experience and ability to apply legal expertise to analyzing diverse range of legal issues and challenges and develop innovative and creative solutions. The Legal officer will report to the Fund Secretary who is the operational incharge of the day-to-day operations of the Fund.
DUTY STATION: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare Board of Trustees meetings.
- Record and circulate minutes of the meetings of the Board of Trustees.
- Provide guidance on legal governance issues or matters that may arise for SIDTF’s compliance with the relevant laws and best practice.
- Review and propose amendments to Legal documents, Standard Operating Procedures and Manuals used in SIDTF’s operations for compliance with legislations and best practices.
- Prepare Court documents or and represent the SIDTF in Courts of Law should the need arise.
- Keep management appraised of new legislation and regulations regarding SIDTF’s operations as well as ensuring compliance with the Laws.
- Promptly advise management on the decisions taken by the Board and particularly those requiring management action and coordinate management’s time submission of reports for consideration.
- Drafting legal documents and other legal correspondences.
- Reviewing internal documents and policies to ensure they are drafted in accordance with applicable legislation.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s Degree in Law from accredited University is required. Master’s degree in Corporate/ Commercial Law is an advantage.
Strong analytical skills and ability to carry out legal activities on a range of issues, including those of complex nature. Proficiency in legal writing and expression and ability to prepare legal opinions and a variety of legal instruments and related documents. Sound judgment in applying legal expertise to sensitive and complex legal issues would also be essential. Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals. Must be computer literate.
- A minimum of three years of professional experience in law, including at least two years of service with the legal office of a Corporate Entity, is required.
- Experience in professional legal work relating to procedural and institutional issues within a corporate organization is desirable.
- Experience in professional legal work relating to funding of economic projects and activities is desirable.
English and Kiswahili are the working languages of the SIDTF. For the post advertised, fluency in English, is required.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application. Evaluation of qualified candidates will be followed by competency-based interview. Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
This position carries attractive remuneration commensurate with experience. An indication of expectations by the Applicant should be included in the application.
Mode of Application
Applicants are required to submit their applications including an application letter, copies of Certificates and Curriculum Vitae (CV) together with contact details of three referees, to the SIDTF Fund Secretary, at the email address below, not later than 15th June, 2021:
Sugar Industry Development Trust Fund
3rd Floor, Sukari House
Sokoine Drive/Ohio Street
Email: [email protected]