RTI International is the prime implementer of the USAID Jifunze Uelewe activity focused on sustainably improving literacy and numeracy outcomes of “all learners” from pre-primary through Standard 4 in five regions of Tanzania. For the purpose of this program, “all learners” includes, but is not limited to, marginalized and vulnerable girls and boys, learners with disabilities, minority and linguistic minority groups, urban and rural learners, learners affected by crisis or conflict, and those living in poverty.
The Communications Specialist will lead in the development and implementation of a communications strategy to share Jifunze Uelewe program activities and accomplishments to a wide audience, including USAID, Government of Tanzania, RTI, and other key stakeholders. S/he will work under the supervision of the DCOP-Technical to ensure effective communications and reporting and to assure that proper branding and marking are applied to all program materials. This position is based in Dar es Salaam.
- Lead in the development and implementation of a communications strategy for Jifunze Uelewe to share project activities, accomplishments, and lessons learned to key stakeholders, including, USAID, Government of Tanzania, regional and local government authorities, project staff and sub-partners, RTI International, and the wider public.
- Develop concepts for and design communication material, including success stories, fact sheets, social media posts, newsletters, brochures, annual/quarterly reports, invitations, banners, posters, and other materials as needed.
- Work with technical leads to write success stories, lessons learned, and activity reports. Prepare case studies and other project-related documentation and update web-based content.
- Identify appropriate ways to publicize and disseminate project related information and materials; design and develop project materials and publications.
- Manage and maintain graphic files, including primers, company logos, photos, videos, and art.
- Develop an information resource database for the project; collect and compile materials from team members for sharing and submitting to USAID website and social media platforms (and Ministry website, if required).
- Translate and write information data into suitable language for a lay audience as appropriate;
- Assure branding plan is followed on all project documents, reports, and public information materials; Ensure USAID and RTI project branding guidelines are adhered to.
- Write articles on project activities including technical notes, best practices and lessons learned and contributions to USAID publications and local media outlets;
- Build the capacity of staff and local partners to proof check, design, layout, amend, and compile professional materials and train staff to take engaging photos/videos, draft social media posts, write success stories, and produce reports for the project.
- Support M&E to develop innovative and visual design for presentation of research data and project reports.
- Under direction of DCOP-Technical, oversee coordination, planning, and implementation of project events and media visits – organizational support and recording the events with photographs and video where appropriate.
- Promote knowledge sharing through the organization’s processes, systems and departments/units by helping develop and strengthen links between them to facilitate exchange of information; and perform other tasks as assigned by the Supervisor from time to time.
- Under direction of DCOP-Technical ensure that collaboration, learning, and adapting is integrated in all program activities and is utilized to inform the planning and improvement of subsequent activities.
- Under direction of DCOP-Technical coordinates with Technical Leads and regional teams to ensure timely and quality submission of technical reports, including quarterly, annual, and final project reports and other technical reports as requested by USAID.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Master’s degree and 6 years of experience or bachelor’s degree and 9 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Good working knowledge of design software, including InDesign and Photoshop.
- Ability to work with a varied number of colleagues from, Ministry staff, USAID branding teams, US mission, Consultants, illustrators, designers, teachers, parents and pupils.
- Ability to understand the context which printed material is used, for example a poster for a community sensitization versus an annual report for donor.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and be flexible with working hours.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated flexibility, adaptability and the ability to perform and collaborate under challenging conditions.
- Strong planning, community mobilization and inter-cultural communication skills required.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work well with others.
- Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.