The Regional Rusumo Falls Hydroelectric project (RRFHP) is one of the priority regional projects in the Nile countries and aims at development of low-cost power generation and regional electricity trade as a means to improve productivity and promote economic growth in the region.
The proposed project consists of construction of (i) a run-of-river hydropower facility with an installed capacity of 80 MW to be equally shared between the three shareholder countries of Rwanda, Burundi and Tanzania.
The power plant and associated hydraulic infrastructure will be situated at the Rusumo, where the Kagera River forms the boundary between Tanzania and Rwanda, and ii) transmission facilities connecting the power plant to the national grids of Rwanda, Burundi and Tanzania.
The Local Area Development Plan (LADP), is a benefit sharing program designed to enhance regional economic and social development in the project area. The LADP project area includes Ngara District in Tanzania, Kirehe and Ngoma Districts in Rwanda and communes of Giteranyi (Muyinga Province) and Busoni (Kirundo Province) in Burundi.
The Ngara District Executive Director is announcing the following vacancies under LADP Tanzania to be filled soon by competent Tanzanian:
Position: LADP Civil Engineer (1 Post)
These Terms of Reference (ToRs) relates to the position of Civil Engineer- LADP in Ngara District, to facilitate and support the implementation of LADP Civil and construction activities at Ngara District. This will be local position under LADP coordinator Tanzania .
Scope of Work
The Civil Engineer will be part of the District Project implementation Unit (PIU) comprising of District Executive Director, LADP Coordinators and other Departmental staff within the District, Community Development Officer and Environment Specialist. The Civil Engineer- will play a key role in the support and follow up of the LADP Civil and construction activities within the District of Ngara.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Objective of the assignment is to assist the District LADP PIU on implementation of selected civil and construction activities. Specific tasks include but not limited to the following
- Provide overall technical assistance to LADP activities related to Construction/ Rehabilitation of civil works in the Districts of Ngara from review of feasibility studies, review and analysis of tender documents and tender offers, to implementation, monitoring, evaluation and handover of facilities.
- Review Construction/rehabilitation work plans prepared by Contractors and develop own monitoring and supervision tools to ensure efficient and effective completion of LADP civil
- Closely monitor set and approved projects’ implementation plans and ensure that they are periodically updated, reviewed, approved and executed and communicate the changes to the LADP PIU, the District for further transmission to Rusumo Project PIU management.
- In collaboration with LADP Project Coordinators, in consultation of PIU direct supervisor, ensure effective monitoring and supervision control systems/tools are in place and contractors and engineering consultancy companies work in compliance with technical specifications, and good engineering practices so that LADP Civil works are implemented and completed on time and within the set budgets without compromising the
- Review, separately, monthly, quarterly and annual project progress reports submitted by Contractors’, Consultants’ and LADP Coordinators, and highlight important issues, challenges, discrepancies from the actual situation on the Advice NELSAP/PIU on corrective actions to be taken for challenges and discrepancies so that LADP civil works are implemented efficiently and effectively so that maximum benefits to clients and stakeholders are achieved.
- Monitor and evaluate performance of service providers.
- In collaboration with LADP district coordinator manage project budgets, cash flow and obligations by certifying disbursements of funds (Where applicable), to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to Contractors and Consultants are received on time, monitor and submit financial status reports to management in compliance with the pre-established requirements and as per signed Memorandum of Understanding between District and NELSAP/PIU.
- Conduct regular site visits to the LADP civil works in Ngara District, attend site Prepare and submit Back to Office Reports (BTOR), minutes of the meetings, weekly, and monthly, quarterly and annual progress reports and ensure proper documenting and archiving of project records.
- Assist in preparation and correctness of all technical inputs and cost estimates related to the project planning and budgeting of LADP construction components and ensure that they are timely submitted to relevant NELSAP/PIU departments for
- Assist in a sound handing over of LADP facilities to project beneficiaries and ensure proper handing over of LADP documents to PIU upon project closure
- Perform any other duties related to Regional Rusumo Falls Hydroelectric Project as may be directed by the Project Manager or your direct supervisor.
- Ensure the contractors are implementing all Environment, Health Safety and social mitigation measures as recommended in the project ESMPs.
- Assumes enforcement of LADP Civil activities and responsible for the planning and management of implementation of set and agreed upon activities in compliance with existing guidelines and approved documents
- Ensures that World Bank and NELSAP/PIU rules and regulations are implemented and adhered to in all projects activities
The Engineer will be located in the Ngara District and will be under direct supervision of LADP coordinator.
Duration and Nature of Appointment
The duration of the contract will be for 11 months with a probation period of 3 months. The contractual term may be renewed based on performance, availability of fund and management decision. Remuneration is negotiable
Qualification and Experience
Interested candidates should possess the following minimum qualifications:
- University Degree in Civil, construction, transportation, Highway, water resources, Building construction engineering, Construction/Project management.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in infrastructure project preparation and management, civil works including detail design and supervision.
- Good computing skills, including knowledge of software packages for word processing, Excel, Power Point Familiarity with modern communication systems and design norms (such as Internet, worldwide web, email, AutoCAD or any other design model etc.).
- Experience in community mobilization/ community monitoring sites, coupled with the ability to address and manage all aspects of monitoring of a construction (legal aspects of positioning, procurement, law and knowledge of construction contracts, construction information technologies, and follow-up).
- Working experience with international, major bilateral and multilateral development agencies. Or donor organization financed projects
- Working experience in construction projects financed by International agencies
- Excellent and proven experience in dealing with contractors, consultants and local governments;
- Working experience in preparation, implementation and monitoring of technical/ (re)construction projects; methodological and calculation skills
- Knowledge of procurement, tendering and contracting processes and requirements;
- Knowledge of the World Bank procurement and rules, procedures and regulations related to works would be an asset.
- Related Working Experience in the country, particularly in the project area is an advantage
- Experience in managing projects with implementation of Environment, Health and Safety and Social Mitigation measures
- Working knowledge and experience in management of social and environmental safeguards issues.
- Excellent writing, analytical, presentation, and reporting skills.
- Fluency in English and Swahili.
- Registered by Engineers Registration Board
Candidates’ Reporting Obligations
The Environmental Expert shall work under direct supervision of and reports to LADP District Coordinator. The Environmental Expert shall be located in the Ngara District (TANZANIA).
The candidate is expected to produce and submit:
- A brief narrative/weekly/monthly report outlining the work accomplished in delivering the specific weekly/monthly outputs. s An outline of the work expected to be completed for the next deliverable week/monthly/quarter.
- Any document requested guideline, ESMP, progress reports, among others.
- Approved all related to contractors’ ESMP, monitoring and progress reports during implementation.
- Weekly, monthly and quarterly ESHS monitoring reports for individual projects submitted to NELSAP through LADP Coordinator, that will report to agreed EHS metrics.
- All other reports and documents related to implementation of LADP projects as might be needed from time to time.
Deadline for submission is on 20th October 2021 before 17:00 hours Tanzania time
Only candidates who meet the requirements and are short-listed for the interview – will be contacted.
How to apply:
- Interested Applicants should apply by submitting:
- A cover of letter with statement on applicant’s interest in the given assignment and suitability based on the given ToR to be addressed to:
District Executive Director,
Ngara District Council,
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) including date of birth and nationality.
- Copies of academic & professional training certificates.
APPLY through the email: [email protected] with a copy to [email protected] (In the application letter clearly mark the position you are applying for, example application of LADP Ngara Procurement Officer, etc )