Land O’Lakes Venture37 is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit helping communities around the world build economies by strengthening agriculture from farm-to-fork, helping businesses grow, and linking farmers to markets.
Since our start in 1981, we have been leveraging nearly 100 years of expertise in crop inputs, agricultural insights, dairy and animal nutrition from our close affiliate, Land O’Lakes, Inc., a farmer-owned agribusiness committed to fulfilling its purpose of feeding human progress.
Our team is made up of nearly 350 employees who are committed to market-led approaches, and passionate about collaborating locally to create lasting inclusive economic growth.
By unlocking the potential of agriculture for the last 36 years, the lives of more than 3 million people have been transformed through nearly 300 programs in more than 80 countries.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 has extensive dairy experience in Tanzania having implemented high impact projects including the Tanzania Dairy Development Program (2010 to 2013), Public Private Partnerships for Artificial Insemination Delivery (2015 to 2021), and is rolling out the Dairy Nourishes Africa (DNA) initiative, a 15-to-20-year public private partnership to spur economic grow and livelihoods across the dairy value chain.
The Tanzania Inclusive Processor-Producer Partnerships in Dairy project (TI3P), funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), is a three-year dairy development project implemented by the Tanzania Agricultural Development Bank Limited (TADB) in partnership with Land O’Lakes Venture37 and Heifer International.
The TI3P project aims to contribute to inclusive agricultural transformation goals in Tanzania by enabling public-private partnerships to (a) increase the incomes of small-scale producers (b) sustainably increase on-farm production, productivity and income of small-scale dairy producers (c) increase women’s economic empowerment and, (d) increase equitable access to improved quality dairy nutrition.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 will implement the project in established dairy markets in Tanzania under the auspices of Dairy Nourishes Africa (DNA), a public-private partnership that includes the Global Dairy Platform (GDP), Land O’Lakes Venture37, and Bain & Company.
DNA takes a market-led, systems approach, where farmer-allied dairy processors are the linchpin for accelerating transformation, working to drive optimal outcomes from farms to consumers and across the operating environment.
TI3P aims to achieve specific dairy transformation goals by implementing activities in six key Outcome Areas of which Land O’Lakes Venture37, under the auspices of DNA, will focus activities in established dairy markets under Outcomes 3, 4, 5 and 6.
- OUTCOME THREE: Enterprise Acceleration – Increased capacity utilization and improved growth and profitability at high-potential dairy enterprises
- OUTCOME FOUR: Farmer Production – Sustainable Increase in Farmer Production and Revenue in Established Markets
- OUTCOME FIVE: Demand Generation – Increase in Consumption
- OUTCOME SIX: Strengthened Operating Environment
Summary of the Position:
The Dairy Specialist, Coastal (DS-C) is responsible for leading, planning, implementing and managing all Land O’Lakes Venture37 TI3P field operations in the Coastal milkshed region (based in Tanga) and ensuring timely roll out of activities as per defined individual, annual, and life of project workplans.
The DS-C will facilitate field capacity building to Farmer Allied Enterprises (FAE) through extension service providers, smallholder dairy farmers, agro-input systems and other dairy stakeholders.
The DS-C will play an important role in linking Farmer Allied Enterprises with the TI3P project, and other implementing partners including international and local business development services.
The DS-C will facilitate and supervise activities to increase nutritional awareness of dairy and increase demand for dairy with a focus on youth and other vulnerable groups. The DS-C will be expected to liaise and build strong partnerships with all stakeholders including relevant government services.
This position is responsible for collecting, collating, analyzing and packaging project monitoring and implementation data and other reports, prior to submission to the Technical Dairy Systems Manager (TDSM) and the National Coordinator.
Reporting and Supervision:
- This position reports to the Technical Dairy Systems Manager (TDSM).
- This position has no supervisory function.
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Under the guidance of Technical Dairy System Manager (TDSM), lead on the ground technical implementation of TI3P Project in the Coastal milkshed region.
- Develop and implement workplans for project activities and all project deliverables.
- Monitor project implementation on the ground, and identify/address any project issues affecting implementation of activities and ensure that project results are met.
- Provide guidance for better provision of farmer extension services, access to other dairy inputs for improved smallholder dairy farm management and productivity.
- In partnerships with FAEs, implement technical activities which includes working with Bain & Company technical professionals, GDP professionals, local Business Development Service providers, and other key actors to spearhead existing enterprises to full potential.
- Facilitate capacity building on dairy environmental sustainability to extension staff, smallholder dairy farmers, and FAEs.
- Support design and facilitate rollout of dairy nutrition awareness and demand generation activities to increase consumption of safe quality dairy products.
- Maintain close coordination and linkages with Government, LGA, such as the District Livestock and Fisheries Development Officers and other dairy development partners.
- Organize and participate in TI3P quarterly stakeholders meeting at milkshed level.
- Carry out any other official work assigned by the supervisor.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Technical or collegiate education in Animal Science/Production, Agribusiness, Agricultural or Rural Development, or other relevant fields.
- A minimum of three (3) years of demonstrated relevant field experience in implementation of dairy development projects.
- Technical knowledge in implementing dairy development projects and activities across the dairy value chain e.g., production, inputs & services, processing, transport, cold chain, retail, financing etc.
- Demonstrated experience adapting project implementation and activities to achieve objectives and targets in a timely manner as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across diverse partnerships, be flexible, and creative
- Ability to communicate effectively, instilling trust and confidence.
- Able to work with limited supervision and deliver on time.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and written and oral presentation skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office, especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Kiswahili.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- An undergraduate degree (BSc) in Animal Science/Production, Agribusiness, Agricultural or Rural Development, or other relevant fields.
- A minimum of five (5) years of demonstrated relevant field experience in implementation of dairy development projects.
Applications accepted through January 14, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Only the preselected candidates will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 is an equal opportunity employer and an organization striving to help global communities thrive through agriculture.
We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status, among other factors.
Our culture values a diversity of voices. So, bring us your unique experiences, your workstyle and your dreams — they’ll only make us stronger.
Land O´Lakes Venture37 does not request candidates for payment at any point during the recruitment process.