- Position: Research Officer (1 post)
- Reports To: Project leader Work Station:
- Pwani Region
- Apply By: June 25th, 2021
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
Ifakara is seeking for qualified and experienced Research Officer to work as field entomologist in the Entomology work package within a big cluster randomized clinical trial of Broad One Health Endectocide- based Malaria Interventions in Africa (BOHEMIA). The research officer (field entomologist) will assist the Research Scientist (Senior Entomologist) to implement and supervise the activities of entomology work package on evaluation of impact of repeated ivermectin MDA on vector populations and their transmission activities in Rufiji and Kibiti districts, Tanzania. The research officer will be required to demonstrate perfect leadership skills, excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. He or she must have expressed interests and experience of working on entomological surveys in rural villages with a clear understanding of vector biology, ecology, behavior and control and their relationships with the epidemiology of malaria in Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct day to day supervision of mosquito trapping and collections from
- Conduct day to day supervision of laboratory, and semi-field testing of
- Summarize raw data and regularly discuss with senior field
- Maintain accurate records of data (database) and the confidentiality of the
- Regularly monitor, supervise and ensure high production of and management of mosquito colonies from field and the reference strains required for laboratory, and semi-field
- Monitor and maintain records of usage of field equipment, consumables, and reagents to ensure timely requisition for continuous flow of testing activities and field mosquito
- Efficiently managing performance of field workers and entomology technicians when conducting field entomological surveys including mosquito trapping and collections, larval collections, rearing and maintenance of mosquito colonies, laboratory and semi-field bioassasy, Prepare, organize and review relevant SOPs, protocols and quality manuals and ensuring that procedures in the SOPs are being followed
- Ensure all raw data generated are full documented and kept appropriately
- Assist senior entomologist to plan and organize recruitment, training and supervision of field workers and entomology
- Assist Senior Entomologist to supervise recording of data using established good documentation including data management forms and tools for documented practices and reporting any deviations from the study protocols and associated
- Perform routine spot checks on daily, weekly and monthly basis during entomological surveys in the field or bioassays in the laboratory and semi-field conditions to ensure high standards of quality data based on GCPs, GLPs and international standards are
- Ensure compliance with the applicable GLPs, GCPs, Study Protocols, associated SOPs and the instructions from
- Participate in GLPs, GCPs, mosquito taxonomy, mosquito dissections training through hands-on to ensure competence in execution of
- Analyses and interpret data collected from field entomological surveys and from laboratory and semi-field
- Assist Senior Entomologist in the preparations of technical reports and manuscripts for publications.
- Participate in the presentations of research findings in national and international
- Monitor the timelines, and milestones of the entomology activities to ensure timely delivery of study results within the
- Ensure adequate and appropriate sample storage, labelling, record keeping, prepare and organize shipment of sub-samples to collaborators when
- Conduct any other tasks assigned by the Senior
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Biology, Zoology, General Science, Environmental Science, Molecular Biology, or Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and any other related fields; MSc in medical entomology is also considered and is an added
- Experience of at least 2 years on medical entomology especially field entomological surveys, mosquito handling and rearing, laboratory, field and semi-field entomological bioassays will be a significant
Skills and Competencies
- Good understanding of important vector borne diseases in the tropics and challenges in the vector control strategies as well as entomological
- Knowledge on WHO guidelines for testing insecticides and conducting entomological
- Self-motivated individual who is able to work with minimal
- Ability to motivate team members especially field workers and technicians
- Excellent interpersonal skills to handle efficiently technicians, field workers and communities for smooth running of
- Fluent in both Kiswahili and English
- Able to respond to
- Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Accountability, Respect, Integrity and Initiative).
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs on Friday, the 25th of June, 2021. All e-mail application subject lines should include: Research officer -Entomology. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania Email: [email protected]