The AML Senior Analyst has the responsibility to perform the organization’s anti money laundering (AML) and counter terrorist financing (CTF) operations and ensuring that M-PESA and any other qualifying service offered by the organization is/are compliant with provisions of the AML Act 2006
Key accountabilities and decision ownership
• Maintain detailed knowledge of current AML regulations, legislation requirements, as well as future developments within the AML scope. This should drive the change to existing procedures
• Implement adequate AML and CTF controls to ensure that all possible areas of AML & CTF concerns are covered.
• Prepare weekly/monthly/quarterly reports to internal stakeholders and management on the state of Compliance and follow through for resolution of the same.
• Ensure that AML procedures and process are in line with current regulatory and legislation requirements by carrying out bi-annual reviews
• Perform quarterly reviews of all AML controls to assess effectiveness; where there are deficiencies; recommend changes and follow-up the implementations of these changes within the agreed timelines.
• Carry out quarterly AML compliance reviews on M-PESA activities based on the signed off compliance methodology.
• Proactively identify gaps and ensure implementation of in AML projects to increase efficiency/effectiveness
• Follow-up of implementation of recommendation made by the Internal Audit & annual Vodafone AML audit team or any other regulatory audit.
• Report control weaknesses or lapses to senior management in a timely manner, recommend mitigation controls or process changes and follow up implementation of agreed actions
• Maintain strong working relationship with internal stakeholders e.g. Financial services, Big Data & Business Analytics, Regional Sales & Operations, Corporate Security, Corporate Affairs, Customer Operations and relevant departments to ensure that compliance issues are regularly discussed and addressed
• In liaison with the MLRO, manage the performance of outsourced AML activities, define performance indicators, assign tasks, and define goals and objectives for them
Core competencies, knowledge and experience
• Knowledge and understanding of International Anti-money laundering efforts and agencies (e.g FATF).
• Knowledge in report writing.
• High level of computer literacy exceptionally conversant with Word and excel.
• Solid interpersonal, analytical skills and customer oriented approach.
• Strong communication skills, fluency in English and Kiswahili.
• Strong database skills, including working with advanced data sets, pivot tables, advanced database and statistical functions and methods.
• Excellent use of Excel and other analytical tools.
• Ability to quickly grasp and understand business unit specific AML risks, develop comprehensive user requirements, and provide recommendations for appropriate automated solutions to mitigate those risks
Must have technical/professional qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
• Professional qualification in Anti Money Laundering will be added advantage.
• At least three (3) years’ experience working as Analyst in AML space in financial or non-financial institutions.
* Delivers day-to-day aspects Risk and Compliance, reviewing, creating awareness, training and administration, as well as recommending improvements and implementing systems and controls within markets. Has a good understanding of Risk and Compliance procedures and concepts and advices on processes and activities to ensure a consistent approach across markets to managing risks, protecting reputation, improving efficiency and driving growth;
* Supports the team to deliver operations and activities of the Risk and Compliance function to ensure Vodafone adherence to required standards and legislation (e.g. SOX requirements);
* Effectively interacts with colleagues and partners and exchanges complex ideas and information effectively and in a concise and logical way;
* Performs other job-related duties or tasks defined by the supervisor or resulting from assigned agendas.