- Position: Laboratory Technician (1 post)
- Reports To: Project Leader Work Station: Bagamoyo
- Apply By: June 11th 2021
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
Ifakara is looking for a qualified and experienced individual to take the position of Laboratory Technician who will work as insectary technician. The Insectary technician will be required to work at our branch in Bagamoyo to provide technical assistance and coordinate all aspects of rearing and maintenance of Anopheles gambiae (An. gambiae) s.s (IFAKARA) mosquito colony. They should show profound professionalism in the job responsibilities and ensure successful and timely completion of the project activities in the TranSMIT (Transmission from submicroscopic malaria in Tanzania) project which is a multi-consortium project involving the University of North Carolina as the prime awardee with subaward agreements with University of Florida, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS) and Ifakara Health Institute.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate all activities associated with rearing and maintenance of gambiae s.s (IFAKARA) for the TranSMIT project.
- Ensure there is adequate numbers of An. gambiae s.s (IFAKARA) mosquitoes for mosquito experimental infections for the TranSMIT project and other projects as well.
- Closely work with other technicians within the insectary to ensure proper maintenance of mosquito colonies and adequate availability of mosquito numbers for
- Attend weekly insectary meeting and provide summary reports of the execute daily work instructions received from supervisor in a timely
- Conducts other activities deemed as necessary within the framework of the project and upon direction of the Principal Investigator of
Qualification and Experience
- Diploma in medical laboratory, clinical medicine or health laboratory
- Relevant experience of working within a research
- Previous experience of working with live
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to developing and following laboratory
- Ability to achieve set objectives independent of day-day
- Ability to work as an integral and cooperative member of a multi-disciplinary, multi-national research
- Adaptable and able to work under different conditions, hot, high humid conditions (insectary).
- Knowledge of malaria vector
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs on Friday 11th of June,2021. All e-mail application subject lines should include: Senior Fieldworker – TranSMIT. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
- Human Resources Manager IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
- #5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
- P.O. Box 78,373
- Dar es Salaam, Tanzania Email: [email protected]