CARE is a leading humanitarian organization dedicated to fighting poverty and social injustice and places a particular emphasis on women and girls, their dignity and empowerment to lead their communities out of poverty.
In 2020, CARE worked in 104 countries, reaching 90 million people through more than 1,300 programs, with an annual budget of $650 million.
Every single one of those 90 million people has a story of resilience, community, strength, and hope—all things that bind us together, across every corner of the globe.
CARE began working in Tanzania in April 1994, in response to the crisis in Rwanda and the subsequent influx of refugees into the Kagera Region of North-western Tanzania.
Over the subsequent years, CARE Tanzania developed innovative education, health, microfinance, and environmental programs across most regions of the country.
In Tanzania CARE works with the Government both in mainland and Zanzibar and other stakeholders to transform communities and ensure financial inclusion and independence, health and nutrition, climate-smart development resilience, especially for women and girls.
CARE Tanzania seeks to recruit self-motivated, results driven, dynamic, suitably qualified, competent and dedicated Tanzanians to fill various new positions in the organization in agricultural sector to implement solutions for our beneficiaries in the food production and farming industries.
About Scale Up FFBS Project
Scale FFBS Project funded by Anonymous donor seeks to supports women to become successful farmers, businesspeople, leaders and agents of change.
This holistic approach expects to teach women farmers good agricultural practices to improve yields in an environmentally sustainable way, incorporating climate-smart tools and techniques to help them adapt to climate change.
It will also enable farmers to access markets and sell at competitive prices, collaborate with one another a, and engage in beneficial and efficient decision – making.
1. Project Manager for Scale Up FFBS Approach Initiative (to be based in Iringa)
The Project Manager will lead on the implementation phase of the Scale Up FFBS approach, providing technical advisory on FFBS approach for farming that are appropriate to the beneficiaries.
The major responsibility of the Project Manager (PM) is to lead and oversee work in Iringa district council of Iringa Region.
Provide overall leadership, coordination and management of the project, and will be responsible for ensuring successful delivery and accomplishment of the core objectives under his/her responsibility.
The position will be responsible for providing strategic decisions on scaling up FFBS approach or sustaining key project results, assist the Project Agronomist for effective implementation of their respective activities.
Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with key government partners, buyers, donors and NGOs working in the same geographic areas.
He/she will establish partnership with LGA, buyers, farmer cooperatives and government stakeholders, and will work closely with relevant actors in the agriculture sub-sector to ensure successful introduction of FFBS approach to the farmer and adoption by farmers in the selected parts of the operations.
He/ She will work in close collaboration with the Agronomist who will guide the project beneficiaries regarding the implementation of project activities.
The position is expected to maintain effective working relationships with other CARE staff members and will direct report to the Program Director to be based in Iringa.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead on the delivery of the project implementation phase and provide technical inputs in close collaboration with other team members
- Participate in mainstreaming gender in activities to ensure women among the target beneficiaries of the project
- Networking, Learning, Representation, Strengthening and maintaining relations with relevant government line ministries (LGA and MoA) and private sector/research institutions to coordinate the adoption of new products and/or approaches in agriculture development and marketing
- Design a strategy to strengthen linkages with any other NGO’s, private sector and service providers or government agencies in supporting and addressing various farmer’s needs
- Develop project work plans and ensure timely implementation of the project activities in line with work plans and activity schedules
- Provide technical assistance for the design of the project’s monitoring and evaluation strategy.
- Organize and assist with management of project budgets.
- Supporting and contribute to the project’s quarterly and annual reports by highlighting successes, challenges, lessons learned and opportunities in the agricultural programming within the component.
- Staff and Performance Management by supervising and support staff, ensuring activities are on track
- Master’s degree in agricultural economics, agribusiness management or Agronomy,
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 7 years’ experience in agro-business development and management of agriculture focused projects.
- Demonstrated capacity to work with private sector players (financial institutions, buyers, traders, transporters, input suppliers, processors in agriculture value chain)
- Experience with FFBS Approach; practices, principles and operations associated with modern production agriculture.
- Knowledge of agronomic principles and practices, including crops, soils and nutrients.
- Proven experience delivering agriculture focussed project to improve livelihood and reduce poverty of smallholder farmers in Tanzania
- Knowledge of the agriculture sector in Tanzania and its regulation and stakeholders
- Experience with programming that integrates gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Management skills and commercial acumen
- Demonstrated understanding and application of international standard policy.
- Proven ability to forge strong professional relationships and facilitate coordination with donors, implementing partners, local government and communities in public and private sector.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills, including native Kiswahili and strong English language skills.
- Excellent planning and time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work calmly under pressure to deliver and work with others and collaborate as part of a team member.
- A high level of attention to detail and accuracy in working with numbers
- Strong analytical ability, able to evaluate and to appraise critically quantitative and qualitative information.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the Tanzanian country context strongly preferred.
- Willing to travel regularly within remote rural areas in Iringa district as required.
MODE OF APPLICATIONS
Only a letter of application and updated CV including names of at least 3 reputable referees from previous jobs (preferable line Managers) with reliable contacts should be sent by email to Human Resources
Department [email protected] by Closure of Business, 5th September 2022 at 1700hrs. To apply, please indicate the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your e-mail. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from us