CARE is a leading humanitarian organization dedicated to fighting poverty and social injustice and places a particular emphasis on women and girls, their dignity and empowerment to lead their communities out of poverty.
In 2020, CARE worked in 104 countries, reaching 90 million people through more than 1,300 programs, with an annual budget of $650 million.
Every single one of those 90 million people has a story of resilience, community, strength, and hope—all things that bind us together, across every corner of the globe.
CARE began working in Tanzania in April 1994, in response to the crisis in Rwanda and the subsequent influx of refugees into the Kagera Region of North-western Tanzania.
Over the subsequent years, CARE Tanzania developed innovative education, health, microfinance, and environmental programs across most regions of the country.
In Tanzania CARE works with the Government both in mainland and Zanzibar and other stakeholders to transform communities and ensure financial inclusion and independence, health and nutrition, climate-smart development resilience, especially for women and girls.
CARE Tanzania seeks to recruit self-motivated, results driven, dynamic, suitably qualified, competent and dedicated Tanzanians to fill various new positions in the organization.
Tanzania Youth Empowerment and Skills (YES) Program
The Tanzania Youth Empowerment and Skills (YES) Program will support the Government of Tanzania to increase the empowerment, productivity, and community engagement of youth through an integrated cross-sectoral Program.
Tanzania YES is a four-year education and youth program supported by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
The objectives will allow youth to become actors in their own well-being and become agents of change and will be tailored to out-of-school youth aged 15-25.
This purpose will be achieved by; 1) Increasing access to educational, life skills and entrepreneurial skills 2) Increasing youth participation in activities that foster physical and mental well-being 3) Establishing/strengthening existing networks that support youth development and community engagement.
The zone of influence will include the regions of Dar es Salaam, Zanzibar and Morogoro.
Project Manager – Increase access to educational, life skills and entrepreneurial skills component for USAID/Tanzania Youth Empowerment and Skills Program.
The project Manager will lead the objective one and bring deep technical knowledge of the component of youth needs and aspirations, currently available services, key barriers and opportunities from different sectors and will serve as key role in activity design, work planning, monitoring and adaptive management.
The Project Manager will report to the Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP) for Programs. It is a full-time position and will be based in Dar es Salaam with frequent travels.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Vast experience on working through and building on existing structures to increase the availability, access and quality of accelerated education including remedial skills, technical and vocational education training (TVET), life and leadership skills, mentorship and financial inclusion.
- Contribute component one-focused technical input into the project’s overall technical approach, drafting annual work plans, providing written reports, and implementing an integrated set of activities to achieve project goals in a way that will expand economic opportunities or provide targeted services to the benefit of youth.
- Experience on doing the mappings and leading the assessments/researches such as value chains analysis, labor market assessments, market scanning etc.
- Ensure improved opportunities for youth to learn life skills, literacy and numeracy and pursue pathways to formal education
- Ensure activities and results are implemented in a timely manner within budget.
- Ensure increased entrepreneurship and employment opportunities as well as financial inclusion for youth
- Understanding of the positive youth development (PYD) approach is key
- Contribute to the project’s quarterly and annual reports by highlighting successes, challenges, lessons learned and opportunities in youth programming within the component.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Advanced degree from a recognized university in youth development studies, economics, agriculture, rural development or similar social sciences field. Or Bachelor degree with 9 years professional experience in lieu of advanced degree.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 7 years of professional experience in managing and mainstreaming the engagement of youth with the private sector and the Government to increase the availability, access and quality of accelerated education including remedial skills, technical and vocational educational education training (TVET), life and leadership skills, mentorship and financial inclusion.
- Experience identifying and addressing opportunities and barriers related to expanding skills, incomes or economic opportunities for youth, and other marginalized populations
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the Tanzanian country context strongly preferred.
- Ability to travel within the regions or country as needed.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of USAID or other international standard policy.
- Proven ability to forge strong professional relationships and facilitate coordination with donors, implementing partners, local government and communities in public and private sector.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills, including native Kiswahili and strong English language skills.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili in oral and written communication.
- Ability to work with others and collaborate as part of a team member.
- Willing to travel extensively to zone of influence regions as required.
Only a letter of application and updated CV including names of at least 3 reputable referees from previous jobs (preferable line Managers) with reliable contacts should be sent by email to Human Resources Department [email protected] by Closure of Business, 5th September 2022 at 1700hrs. To apply, please indicate the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your e-mail. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.