Job Title: Head Pharmacist
Job Location: Moshi, Tanzania
In 2012, the Kilimanjaro Sunscreen Production Unit (KSPU) was established at the Regional Dermatology Training Centre (RDTC) at KCMC in Moshi, to produce and distribute locally made sunscreens specifically designed for people with albinism across Tanzania. Since 2013 the NGO Standing Voice has been a key partner of the RDTC, connecting the KSPU with beneficiaries across Tanzania, expanding the distribution of Kilisun through our network of Skin Cancer Prevention clinics, collecting data from patients, and educating them about sunscreen use and benefits.
From June 2016, a partnership has been established with the Pierre Fabre Foundation to support the development of the Skin Cancer Prevention Programme (SCPP) in Tanzania.We are looking to recruit an experienced Pharmacist with a proven background in the manufacturing and production process, to fulfil this dynamic role. The successful candidate must have excellent communication and problem-solving skills, and pharmaceutical manufacturing experience.
Ensure that KSPU production maintains a high standard of quality and conforms to project plans, particularly in relation to cost and time required to fulfil the objectives of the SCPP. The SCPP is implemented by a consortium of three partners: the Regional Dermatology Training Center (in Moshi, Tanzania), the Pierre Fabre Foundation (Lavaur, France) and the NGO Standing Voice (Moshi, Tanzania / London, UK). It will be a key mission of the Head Pharmacist to work hand-in-hand with other consortium partners.
• The Head Pharmacist will manage the KSPU Production Manager
• The Head Pharmacist will be answerable to the Head of Dermatology Department (Principal RDTC), who reports directly to the Director of Hospital Service KCMC
Heading up production
• Manage the KSPU Production Manager in planning and implementing the manufacturing activities of the unit.
• Review existing KSPU quality management plans, and design a new Quality Management System to guide the production of a new formulation at the KSPU.
• Review existing operational manuals, procedures and processes, and introduce new editions where these are lacking – including (re)establishing and applying the Standard Operating Procedures according to the requirements of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP).
• Support the Production Manager to ensure conformance of manufacturing processes to organizational objectives and policies.
• Check the availability of adequate raw and packing materials, utilities and machine size parts.
• Ensure the weekly and monthly production plans are executed according to the schedule.
• Be accountable for production process, facility suitability, and output quality standards
• Ensure that manufacturing activities are in compliance with the requirements of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and all standard yields along production lines are maintained.
• Ensure the production formula is adhered to consistently and that raw materials are always in compliance with formula requirements.
• Supervise quality control analysis, including modifying and validating analytical procedures to meet quality control needs.
• Be responsible for batch release.
• Review production performance and identify training needs.
• Enforce health and safety precautions.
• Ensures that all production equipment is maintained in good working order.
• Lead on pilot scale trials of products under development.
• Provide management of the Production Manager to ensure the KSPU adheres to the GCLA and TBS regulations.
• Deliver on-the-job training of production personnel.
• Ensure all SOPs are followed, including in relation to employee PPE and hygiene standards at the KSPU.
• Review and approve formulations, labels, shelf-life extensions, repacks and in-house preparations.
• Assist and review production batch records have all the necessary information for final approval and release decision.
• Provide management of the Production Manager to prepare daily/weekly/monthly production reports.
• Conduct and support RDTC research and develop projects.
• Perform other duties as assigned by RDTC or KCMC.
• Undertake regular inspections of the KSPU facilities to ensure compliance with the Quality Management System.
• Manage the Production Manager to ensure repair and maintenance of KSPU facilities is up to standard.
• Ensure all KSPU work environments are clean and safe complying with safety and applicable regulations.
Equipment and Materials
- • Approve the release of all raw materials from the warehouse for manufacturing.
- • Be responsible for minor equipment troubleshooting, calibration and repair.
- • Ensure that the weights / volumes of all dispensed raw materials are accurate and as required.
- • Check the correctness of all raw material identifications as per Batch Manufacturing Record in dispensary prior to initiating raw material dispensing.
• Regularly share KSPU plans and findings in full with RDTC’s Management (Principal, Vice Principal) and other SCPP consortium members on a day-to-day basis (Pierre Fabre Foundation and Standing Voice).
• Build strong relationships with relevant stakeholders in the albinism field.
Qualifications and skills requirement
• Minimum 3- 5 years of experience in the field of pharmaceutical manufacturing and quality management
• Demonstrable understanding of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and regulations applicable.
• Functional knowledge of production lines (tablets, liquids and ointments) is an advantage
• Computer literate
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• Excellent English language competence
• Ability to interact with government authorities such as MSD and TMDA
• Ability to multi-task and change priorities as needed in a fast-paced work environment
• Experience in pharmaceutical or cosmetic production standards
• Registered Pharmacist with valid practicing licence
Mode of application
Candidates meeting the required qualifications should submit their application letter and detailed CV to the address below, describing how they qualify for the position. They should attach certificated copies of academic certificates, three referees, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses.
Regional Dermatology Training Centre at KCMC
P. O. Box 8332,
E-mail: [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The deadline for submission of the application is 07th June 2021, before 18:00 EAT.