Water For People is a global nonprofit working across nine countries, bringing together communities, local entrepreneurs, and governments to build and maintain water and sanitation services that will last.
We have a sustainable solution to end the global water and sanitation crisis, and our employees across the world help drive this solution.
The Regional Director for Africa is ultimately responsible for managing all aspects of Water For People’s work on the continent. Currently there are programs in Malawi, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda with a possibility of opening one or two new country programs (CPs) in the next few years for which the RD is responsible for their development.
They are responsible for ensuring that Destination 2030 (D30) and the FY 2022-2024 strategic plan are implemented; for supporting the development of country plans and strategies in line with Water For People’s overall strategy and policy objectives; and, for leading the coordination of Water For People’s D30 Alliance’s efforts in Africa.
The RD will be a member of the Program Strategy and Delivery Committee chaired by the CIO that is mandated with making key programmatic decisions and identifying and ensuring thoughtful rollout of global programmatic initiatives.
They will provide leadership for regional advocacy, influence, and learning programs and manage a wide range of external relationships at the regional level, particularly those with remit across the region.
The RD will be expected to play a significant role in managing relationships with donors and spearhead the organization’s impressive and continued growth in Africa. The RD is responsible for effective management of Water For People funds and equipment, and ensuring that offices have established appropriate systems for program, financial, and human resource management.
They will serve as liaison between the Water For People Global Hub team and the CPs. Water For People expects its RD to adopt a collaborative management style, but to ultimately make necessary decisions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS & DUTIES:
- Lead and monitor the implementation of the organization’s strategic plan in the region
- Support the production and implementation of operational plans and budgets, to carry forward the organization’s strategy, in each country of operation
- Drive the implementation of new organizational initiatives, in all spheres of program or management
External Relationship Management
- Represent Water for People in Africa and play a part in hosting official visitors to the Water for People programs
- Strengthen relationships with partner organizations, NGOs, government agencies, donors, bilateral and multilateral agencies in Africa
- Support the identification and development of in-country funding opportunities for further program work
- Act as line manager for CDs in the region and for some members of the regional team (SRPO, RPM & RWSBC); and act as matrix manager for other members of the regional team (RFAM & RM&EM)
- Support all relevant Global Hub teams, through regular communication and acting as go-to for all program and management information
- Provide fiduciary and programmatic oversight to all offices in the region
- Contribute to Water For People’s overall program and policy discussions at a global level
Learning and Reporting
- Promote a learning environment among Water For People’s partners and staff in Africa
- Develop the capacity of Water For People staff and partners to document their experience for learning and advocacy purposes. Personally, produce at least one substantive article on the work in the region per year
- Collaboratively develop innovative and experimental approaches to water, sanitation, and hygiene programs within the region, which contribute to Water For People’s learning and advocacy agendas
- Support the development of annual operational plans and budgets and ensure that all internal and external reporting deadlines are met
Accountabilities and Compliance
- Ensure compliance with applicable in-country rules and regulations related to staff and property (e.g., taxes, insurance, etc.), with documentation being provided to relevant Global Hub teams
- Ensure that Water For People is meeting all its statutory requirements, in meeting the terms of its registration in all countries of operation, in the region
- Ensure that program expenditure remains within the annual budget allocation
- Undertake quarterly financial reviews with all budget-holders in the region to monitor expenditure against budget, including donor budgets; provide financial information to CP staff and partners on project implementation; and ensure that overall project expenditure is on track
- Immediately report any financial irregularities to the relevant Co-CEO
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED*:*
- Preferably a master’s degree or professional qualification in a relevant subject (for example, engineering, development studies, community health)
- Minimum of ten years senior program management experience in Africa, including financial management and budgetary control, and direct line management of staff
- Significant experience of development projects and understanding of community and private finance in enabling service delivery, and the role of market-based approaches to deliver services
- Experience of implementing projects in partnership with government, private and NGO partners
- Proven leadership and staff management skills with ability to lead a multidisciplinary team
- Collaborative and flexible management style and willingness to learn from others
- Advanced computer proficiencies with Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Ability to communicate clearly in English
- Understanding of technical, social, and institutional issues relating to water, sanitation, and hygiene education in developing countries
- Relationship building, including experience in developing relationships with government and donor agencies at a senior level and in in forging relationships within a multi-national institution, bridging the HQ-field gap
- Ability to think clearly and analytically
- A very high level of attention to detail
- Highly numerate, with the ability to create and manage budgets and a sound knowledge of financial control procedures
- Ability to plan own work, set priorities and complete them under pressure or when faced with competing demands
- Must have well-developed written, oral, interpersonal and negotiation communication skills with a high degree of sensitivity for confidentiality
- Must be task-oriented with an excellent sense of priority, logic, and objectivity, highly organized and capable of handling several sensitive, confidential, and important issues simultaneously while responding to unanticipated developments
Don’t meet every single requirement but you are excited about this role? Water For People is committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so we encourage you to apply even if your past experience does not align perfectly with every qualification listed above.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability to travel to countries within the region, and to other sites for organizational meetings and to attend other events as needed
- This position is preferably based in Malawi, Rwanda, Tanzania, or Uganda; however, candidates from other countries, where Water For People has a registered office, will be considered. Candidates must be a citizen or legally authorized to work in the country in which the live
- Normal office environment
- Ability to work outside regular business hours to meet with personnel located in other time zones
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
US anticipated salary range $85,000 – $90,000 (If based outside the US an equivalent country market – based salary will be determined)
Actual salary will be determined based on experience and other job-related factors.
Benefits are one of the ways we encourage healthy living for you and your family. Our generous package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. But health is more than a well-working body: it encompasses body, mind, and social well-being.
To that end, we provide a global EAP and Telehealth benefit to address your holistic health. Healthy living also includes financial wellness tools including, digital tools, classes, counseling, paid time off and generous retirement savings plan.
If the position is based outside the US, benefits will be dictated by the country in which the selected candidate is located.**
Water For People cannot provide immigration sponsorship for this position.