Girl Effect is an international non-profit that builds media that girls want, trust and need.
From chat-bots to chat-shows and TV dramas to tech, our content is reaching millions of girls in Africa and Asia to make choices and changes in their lives. Igniting their confidence to act differently at a time that can define their future.
We create safe spaces for girls, sharing facts, and answering questions about health, nutrition, education, relationships and so much more. And we use innovative technology so we can reach girls at scale. We arm girls with the skills to negotiate and redefine what they are told is possible, so every girl can choose to be in control of her body, her health, her learning and livelihood.
When a girl unlocks her power to make different choices that change her life, it inspires others to do so too. She starts a ripple effect that impacts her family, her community, her country. That’s the Girl Effect.
Context of the role
In partnership with the Vodafone Foundation, Girl Effect has launched the Tujibebe brand for adolescent girls in Tanzania to deliver social behavioural change (SBC) programming to advance gender equality in the areas of Health, Economic Empowerment and Education.
We are looking for someone with a strong understanding of applying SBC to programmes promoting gender equality to join our team in Tanzania. You will have significant knowledge, skills and experience in social behavioural change communications (SBCC) and Gender Transformative Approaches.
In this role you will provide leadership to the design and implementation of our SBC programming in Tanzania, as well as collaborate with global SBC and Gender colleagues to develop tools, training and policies to strengthen Girl Effect’s commitment to advancing gender equality.
You will work alongside a multidisciplinary group of experts in gender, monitoring, evaluation & research, safeguarding, youth participation and social behaviour change communications to deliver impact amongst adolescent girls and young women.
What you will do
- Work alongside the Global Gender and SBC team to develop programme objectives and behavioural change pathways to shape content and products that bring about behavioural change amongst girls.
- Lead technical support to deliver SBCC programmes on health and economic empowerment. Including but not limited to supporting research, co-creation with young people, pre-testing, MEL frameworks and content development.
- Integrate gender-responsive and gender-transformative programmatic approaches to Tujibebe’s SBCC programmes.
- Support the development of Tujibebe’s on/offline Girl Networks and Clubs model, bringing an SBC lens to deliver effective gender norm change.
- Support Country Lead with programme design for concept notes and proposal development.
- Contribute to donor reporting and impact story development as required.
- Keep up to date with trends on girls’ rights and gender equality for girls across Tanzania, and use this knowledge to advise and inform programme design and implementation.
- Support the delivery of Girl Effect’s SBC and Gender mainstreaming and internal learning agenda, including but not limited to newsletters and lunchtime discussions.
- Work alongside the Global Gender and SBC team to design and deliver training to capacity build staff and partners, supporting colleagues to understand critical issues adolescent girls face and how gender and SBC can be applied to their work.
- Support the Global Gender and SBC team to develop tools, guidance and policies as required.
- Participate in monthly team meetings, contributing to discussions on lessons learnt, programme challenges and best practice.
Who you are
- Have a commitment to gender equality and an understanding of the specific issues faced by adolescent girls.
- Experience in applying SBC to programmes promoting gender equality.
- Experience in designing and delivering sexual reproductive health and/or economic empowerment social behavioural change programming.
- Theoretical background in or understanding of behavioural science
- Experience applying gender transformative approaches to programme design, implementation and/or measurement.
- Experience in conducting and applying research to support practical outcomes.
- Accuracy and attention to detail, even when working under pressure.
- Comfortable taking direction and working without close supervision.
- Strong communication, writing and organisational skills.
- Ability to remain flexible and find solutions to challenges.
- Positive, energetic, can-do attitude.
- A creative and inquisitive mindset.
- Any experience working in communications and media will be an added benefit
What else you should know
As we continue to scale and grow – we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective. In turn, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause.
Girl Effect is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We are committed to building an organization that is increasingly representative of the communities that we serve. To this end, due regard will be paid to recruiting candidates with diverse professional, academic and cultural backgrounds.
This role is being recruited on a 12 month fixed term contract basis
Closing date for applications: 02nd July, 2021.