Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania’s leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region. The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti, an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa, with operations in more than ten countries, in four continents.
The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Gold fields of Northwestern Tanzania, only about 85 km’s from Mwanza City and 20 km’s Southeast of the nearest point of Lake Victoria. The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km’s west of the fast-growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam.
Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Position: Senior Manager Sustainability
Contract type & Duration: Unspecified time contract
Reporting to: Vice President – Sustainability, Ghana & Tanzania Business Unit
Number of Positions: One (01)
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
To provide managerial leadership in the Sustainability Department for the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of the effectiveness of the sustainability discipline at Geita Gold Mine in line with the AngloGold Ashanti Corporate and Business Unit sustainability systems with the aim of building effective relationships and social partnerships to secure and maintain the social license for the mine. This should be consistent with delivering maximum sustainable value of the asset.
The role is critical in enabling a culture of respect and working closely with stakeholders to build and maintain a mutually beneficial relationship that will ensure communities around the mine are sustained and key stakeholders are constructively engaged.
- Postgraduate degree in Development Studies, Sustainable Development, Social Sciences or related fields
- GGML is an equal opportunity employer: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in Social Performance Management or Sustainability function in mining or related industry of which at least 5 years was at a senior management level.
- Experience of different stages of mining life cycle and the associated sustainability issues.
MAIN OR KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Establish and maintain processes to provide a safe workplace to all employees and external service providers undertaking work within area of accountability whilst ensuring compliance with mine wide Health, Safety and Environment KPIs
- Develop and implement Emergence and Safety awareness and management plan for communities
- Build and sustain a team of subordinates capable of producing required outputs and model the team’s work behaviors consistent with the company values.
- Plan and deploy resources assigned to you within the approved frameworks to ensure the delivery of all strategic initiatives within budget and time frame agreed.
- Ensure that the mine’s activities foster full respect for and preserve the dignity, human rights, aspirations, cultures, , and livelihood activities of local peoples as well as the long-term sustainability of the natural resources located within traditional or customary lands.
- Develop and implement a forward-looking engagement covering all identified stakeholders including communities; civic and community-based organizations; NGOs; regional and local government, traditional authorities; and the media in line with the company’s policy to “communicate and consult on our activities throughout the lifecycle of our operations” with the aim of building successful and mutually beneficial relationships with stakeholders.
- Develop and implement a locally and culturally appropriate mechanism to provide local communities a means to raise complaints and grievances against the mine and for the mine to respond and resolve those issues where reasonable and feasible, ensuring that opportunities for complaints and grievances to escalate into incidents are reduced.
- Develop and implement strategies and mechanisms to access land for mining and other use and management of land related lawful co-existence by the mine in conjunction with other departments (Mining, Geology, Legal etc.) on the mine.
- Carefully and systematically plan and implement access and resettlement in accordance with Tanzanian policies and regulations, AngloGold Ashanti’s Integrated Environment and Community Policy; the International Finance Corporation’s (IFC) Performance Standards on Social and Environmental Sustainability; ESG, SDGs and AngloGold Ashanti’s values, with the informed participation of displaced persons and other relevant stakeholders in order to minimize and address negative impacts and maximize benefits for the displaced people.
- Develop and implement sustainable social and economic development programs and projects driven by the needs of host communities and in line with government plans and AngloGold Ashanti’s Community Investment Guidelines to contribute to sustainable futures of host communities.
- Develop and implement strategies to reduce the negative impacts of Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining on the mine’s operation and ensure co-existence where appropriate and possible in support of Government initiatives to formalize legal ASM in the Country.
- In-depth knowledge of modern sustainability systems of multinational business operations
- Proven competence in participatory and grassroots development methodologies
- An experienced people-manager with proven leadership skills
- Excellent communications and negotiations skills
- Fluent in English
- Ability to speak the local language
- A good knowledge of the local government system and their functions
- A good knowledge of the local culture and traditions
MODE OF APPLICATION:
- Please apply by clicking APPLY button below.
- On the portal you will be required to upload your detailed CV, copies of relevant certificates, e- mail and telephone contacts, names and addresses of three referees. Please do not attach certificates that are not related to the qualifications stated above.
- You will also be required to upload a cover / application letter addressed to “Senior Manager Human Resources”, Geita Gold Mining Ltd”. Subject should be “Senior Manager Sustainability”.
- If you struggle to apply via the link provided, please head over to our website https://www.geitamine.com/en/people/ for a step-by-step guide on how to apply for jobs on our recruitment portal (SuccessFactors).
- You will be required to present original certificates if you are contacted for interviews.
- Internal Applicants (those currently employed by AngloGold Ashanti) must have their application letter endorsed by their Head of Department (HOD) or Manager once Removed (MoR).
- Applications should reach the above on or before 26th September 2022 at 5:30 Pm
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
NOTE ON COVID-19 PREVENTION:
- Please note when you are invited for interviews, you will be required to present proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (Covid-19 vaccination certificate) or if you are not vaccinated, please go for a Covid-19 test and obtain a 96 – hour valid PCR Covid-19 negative certificate.
- You are also advised to adhere to all recommended prevention measures including proper wearing of face masks and washing or sanitizing your hands before you are allowed through Geita Gold Mine entry points.
BEWARE OF CONMEN! GGML does not receive money in exchange for a job position. Should you be asked for money in exchange for a job offer or suspect such activity, please report this immediately to our Security Department, Investigation Unit, by calling +255 28 216 01 40 Ext 1559 (rates apply) or use our whistle-blowing channels by sending an SMS to +27 73 573 8075 (SMS rates apply) or emailing [email protected] or use the internet at www.tip-offs.com