Position title: Short Term Staff (STS) – Unit and Team Assistant
Grade: GS 5/6/7/8
Publication date: 16-Apr-2021
Closing date: 15-May-2021
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The position of STS Unit/Team Assistant which falls under General Services which provides administrative support for the smooth running of the Team, ensures that the Unit/ Team Leader is freed from all tasks which could otherwise impede the efficient discharge of higher duties and responsibilities.
Each Team has its unique functions, but the STS Unit/Team Assistant works uniformly irrespective of the Team to assure hitch-free operations within the Unit/Team under the respective Team Leader.
Accordingly, the Unit/Team Assistant’s job facilitates and contributes to the success of the Unit/Team Leader in performing their jobs effectively in furtherance of the Bank’s strategy for the achievement of the High 5’s.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the General guidance and overall supervision of the Unit/Team Leader, the Unit/Team Assistant will perform the following:
- WORKFLOW MANAGEMENT
- Undertake such transactional tasks and processes that support the smooth running of the work of the Unit/Team,
- Provide support and follow up on routine administrative correspondence and processes,
- Undertake correspondence and tasks in accordance with the Bank’s accepted formats and check on probable typographical errors, presentation, completeness and procedural accuracy of all documents submitted to the Unit/Team Leader for clearance, approval or signature,
- Review and prioritize important correspondence and tasks for execution,
- Follow-up and ensure that tasks are completed for dispatch and within given deadlines.
- COMMUNICATION AND LIAISON
- Receive visitors and telephone calls with tact and discretion, and act according to the nature and urgency of each, including redirecting to the concerned unit/team members or action parties as appropriate,
- Facilitate the arrangements for meetings with respect to their timings and booking of venue,
- Provide support to the Unit/Team Leader for appointments with official visitors and/or staff members,
- Follow up on work deadlines for routine and assigned tasks,
- Schedule meetings for the Unit/Team Leader, according to schedules and Agenda for the week,
- Arrange time and venue for meetings, and provide support required for their success,
- Write meeting reports/minutes.
- RECORD KEEPING AND DOCUMENTATION
- Maintain a filing system in both hard and soft copies to meet the needs of the Unit/Team,
- Keep a weekly calendar of activities that shows all meetings to be attended by the Unit/Team Leader as well as by other staff members. It also includes all external visits to the Unit/Team,
- Obtain briefing and background materials for meetings, seminars, workshops, etc. to be attended by the team’s staff, checking their availability and ensuring they have the appropriate briefing files and documents,
- Maintain contact address / mailing directory of partners working with the Unit/Team.
- OFFICE ADMINISTRATION
- Make travel arrangements for the Unit/Team Leader/members including tickets, hotel reservation, etc.,
- Support the preparation of presentations as required,
- Photocopy and send electronic communication when the need arises,
- Undertake any other related tasks as assigned by the Unit/ Team Leadership.
- PROCUREMENT DUTIES
- Assist in carrying out the function of procurement duties,
- Process Purchase Requisitions assigned to the Functional Group related to procurement of goods, services and works,
- Receive and review requisitions for clarity, adequacy of specifications, completeness, obtain additional information and liaise with the User Team and, confirm that the budget exist for the requisition.
- Manage the budget assigned to the Unit/Team,
- Assist management in issues concerning resources such as the administrative budget; monitor and review expenses and bring issues to the attention of management,
- Participate in the preparation of the annual and mid-year budget review by inputting data in SAP system and the monitoring thereof.
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Commerce, Business Administration, Communication or related discipline,
- Training in Secretarial Studies and/or Administration and Office Management is advantageous,
- Have a minimum of four (4) years for GS5 & 6, a minimum of five (5) years for GS7 and a minimum of six (6) years for GS8 of relevant and practical experience in administrative and secretarial roles, in similar offices of international Organizations, Development Banks or similar institutions,
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Good knowledge of administration and office support services, including systems and procedures,
- Able to work under pressure and to prioritize in the dynamic setting of an international and multicultural setting,
- Handling internal and external requests efficiently,
- Ability to work and cooperate with others from diverse background,
- Ability to manage simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines,
- Proficiency in the use of standard equipment (computer, fax, scanner, photocopier, telephone etc.),
- Demonstrable commitment to delivering excellent customer service focused reception and administration service,
- Good writing skills,
- Problem Solving,
- Client Orientation,
- Team working,
- Operational effectiveness,
- Innovation and Creativity,
- Integrity and confidentiality,
- Good written and oral skills in French or English with a good working knowledge of the other language,
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access). Knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS. THE POST HOLDER WILL BE
CONSIDERED AS A SHORT-TERM STAFF (local staff)
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.