Do you want to start a business in Washington State? If YES, here are 50 best profitable small business ideas & investment opportunities in Washington. Washington is one of the 50 states that make up the United States.
The state can boast of about 3,622,304 functional small businesses, making it very fertile for starting a small business. Another thing that counts in the favor of small businesses in Washington is the population.
25 Best Small Business Ideas in Washington
- Data Analysis
One business idea that you can start small in Washington but can earn you a lot of income is data mining and analysis. If you can learn the ropes, you can earn a lot of money offering this service on freelancing platforms.
- Gift store
Granted, there are many gift shops already in in the state, but there is still room for new players in the trade. Though the business might be somewhat seasonal, with profits spiking during the Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Valentine, and other festive periods, an encouraging volume of sales can be made all year round.
- Auto repair
Washington has a lot of automobiles running on the road, and this presents a great business for someone who is technically inclined and knows a lot about cars. You can choose to repair a particular brand of car that you are familiar with. Alternatively, you can sell auto parts from different vehicle manufacturers and still make profit from it.
No country is self-sufficient, even Washington. You can look for a product or produce that may still be experiencing some scarcity in the market and start importing it to supplement the country’s supply. It is true that you can start this business on a small scale, but you need to get a lot of licenses and permits before you start this business.
- In-home care for seniors
For many seniors, living at home for long as possible is a priority, but the natural aging process can make that difficult over time. You can start a small business in Washington where you provide care for seniors directly in their homes. You need to have assistants who would visit these seniors at home in order to cook, clean, do laundry, help them shop for grocery amongst other things.
- Fitness center
With the frightening rise in the rate of obesity in the state, a fitness center is a good business to set up anywhere. If you aim to have all the equipment needed to start a standard fitness center, you may run into financial difficulties, so you should start small with just the basics, and offer your services to your neighborhood for the time being. You can even start from your garage if you have a sizable one, but ensure that you adequately publicize your fitness center so that you can gain enough membership to help you expand the business.
- Medical staffing
Medical staffing companies supply health care professionals such as nurses and therapists, to health care organizations, such as hospitals or nursing home facilities. This is a good business to start in Washington as there are a lot of medical and health facilities there, and these organizations would be needing staff from time to time.
- Providing pet boarding, grooming and day care services
If you are an animal lover, you can open a resort where you can provide boarding, grooming and daycare services for pets.
- Healthful Quick serve restaurant
Washingtonians are always health conscious, so if you can open a quick serve restaurant that focuses on serving only healthy food, then your restaurant would sure carve a niche for itself in the growing market. You would need moderate start up capital to for this business, but it would pay you in the future.
- Hair Salon
Women would always need to look good, that is almost like a basic need. The good thing about starting a hair salon is that the business can be started small and in any part of the state and the business would still get enough customers. Just ensure that you have enough skills in the trade and you would make profit in your small business.
- Cleaning business
If you are quite comfortable with the mop and rag, then you could start a cleaning service. You can easily start your own cleaning business, or if you have saved up enough money, you could buy a cleaning franchise. You can focus on retail businesses and keep your customers clumped into one or two blocks. If you provide great services, it would serve as a mode of advertising for you because your customers will come by word of mouth.
- Savings consultant service
A savings consultant helps clients accomplish financial objectives by assessing financial situations; developing and presenting financial strategies and plans; monitoring changes in financial status and life circumstances. Washington being an economically viable state, savings consultancy services are quite essential.
- Cruise planning
Washingtonians love to go on holiday at least once in a year, so you would make good income if you set up a business planning and arranging cruise trips for people.
- Temporary staffing business
With all the new businesses cropping up in Washington, you can start a business that provides temporary staff for them. If you want to maximize profit, and you have training skills, you can choose to train the staff before you send them off to the requesting firm.
- Private Security firm
Security is very essential in every state. One major factor that drives the private security industry is the inadequate distribution of law enforcement personnel, so individuals and companies are forced to hire private security personnel for things like event security and residential patrol. If you have some experience in this area, then you can decide to seek for licensing and open your own private security outfit.
- Painting business
Can you paint? If you can, then you can open up a small business where you can offer painting services to people. You can run this business conveniently from your home and market your services to real estate developers and building remodelers.
- Brow care
Are you a trained beauty therapist? you can decide to focus on giving people perfect brows. Brow care is actually a niche in the beauty industry that can net you good income.
- Appliance repair shop
An appliance repair business repairs equipment and appliances that are used in the home and garden. The barrier to entry into this industry is very low and a majority of establishments in this industry are individuals who are running the business on their own. If you have the knowledge, you can start a business where you can repair appliances for people.
- Coffee Shop
A lot of people love coffee, and would always stop over for freshly brewed coffee every once in a while. Setting up a coffee shop in a busy area will attract many customers during office break times and in the mornings. You can add donuts, pretzels or bagels etc as coffee accompaniment.
- Rug and carpet cleaning
The cleaning service is doing good in Washington because most people do not have the time nor experience to do them by themselves. With little capital and a lot of experience, you can successfully start a rug and carpet cleaning business.
- Recycling Business
A recycling facility engages in the recycling of materials such as plastic, paper and glass from waste locations. Once these materials have been separated and sorted, operators go ahead to refine them into usable products and then sell them to wholesalers as well as manufacturers. You can run a small recycling plant in Washington and where you can recycle either paper, plastic, metals or the likes.
- Pizza place
Pizza is one snack that people love so much, and if you look at the history of prominent pizza houses, you would notice that they all started small. So you as well can start your own pizza place on a small scale and watch the business balloon in future if you take good care of it. You have to know though that you need to have some capital before you can start this business.
- Vitamin supplement store
People are encouraged to take vitamins because our diets today hardly contain all the nutrients our bodies need daily. You can start a small business where you retail vitamins and other meal supplements. You would need licenses to carry out this business.
Boutiques are good businesses for anyone who has an eye for clothes. You can open a store where you retail clothes. You can equally open a consignment store if you reside in a not-so-wealthy neighborhood.
- Tanning salon
Some people want to be brown all year long, and since the Washington climate cannot offer them that luxury, they tend to patronize tanning salons. Your customers here would be mostly young people.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What Are The Steps Needed To Create Your Own Business In Washington ?
- Choose the Right Business Idea
- Plan Your Washington Business
- Get Funding
- Choose a Business Structure
- Register Your Washington Business
- Set up Business Banking, Credit Cards, and Accounting
- Get Insured
- Obtain Permits and Licenses
- What Is Needed To Start A Towing Business In Washington ?
- Create a business plan
- Obtain the necessary Washington permits and licenses, including a Class B commercial license
- Become familiar with towing regulations in Washington
- Join the recognized industry organizations
- Purchase your trucks
- Find a parking place for your truck, unless your city allows commercial vehicles to be parked on the street.
- What Is A Good Business To Start In Washington?
- Gas stations
- Supplementary educational businesses
- Wholesale electronic trade
- Shoe stores
- Beauty services
- Real estate rentals
- Non-instructional educational support
- Electronics and appliance stores
- Secondhand retail
- How Do You Start A Small Business In Washington?
- Choose a Business Name and Structure
- Create a Business Plan
- Register Your Business
- File Taxes
- Obtain Any Required Business Licenses or Permits
- Open a Business Bank Account and Explore Your Funding Options
- How Much Does It Cost To Start A Business In Washington?
The fee to file the LLC-1 Articles of Organization is $70, plus $5 for a certified copy. LLCs must also pay an annual minimum tax of $800 to the Washington Franchise Tax Board for every year they are in business.
In addition, filing the Washington articles of incorporation including a filing carries a fee of $100, plus a $15 handling fee. You must also file an initial report giving detailed information about your company, which includes a fee of $25 and a $75 service fee.
- Does An LLC Need A Business License In Washington?
It is important to note that obtaining a business license is not the same as forming an LLC or other legal entity for your business.
Under the Washington law, LLCs cannot be formed to provide professional services. Professional services include any service that requires a professional state license. If you don’t know whether your service requires a state license, see the Washington Department of Consumer Affairs website.
- How Do You Start Up An Online Business In Washington?
- Write a business plan
- Decide on Your Business Structure
- Take Care of All the Legal Tasks
- Choose your name and buy your domain
- Build Your Website and Choose Your Sourcing and Fulfillment Methods
- Register your business entity with Washington
- Acquire all the necessary licenses, permits, and registrations
- File your tax and employer documents
- Get your finances in order
- Develop and Implement Your Prelaunch Marketing Strategies
- Launch Your New Business
- How Do You Get A Sellers Permit In Washington?
The requirement to obtain a seller’s permit include:
- Register In Person. You may register for a seller’s permit in person at one of the Board of Equalization’s field offices.
- Register by Mail. You can get an application for a resellers permit mailed to you by calling 800-400-7115.
- Apply Online.
There is no charge for a seller’s permit.
- How Do You Start A Car Detailing Business In Washington?
- Plan your business
- Form a legal entity
- Register for taxes
- Open a business bank account & credit card
- Set up business accounting
- Obtain necessary permits and licenses
- Get business insurance
- Define your brand
- Create your business website
- How Much Is A Seller’s Permit In Washington?
There is no charge for a seller’s permit, but security deposits are sometimes required. You can apply online using online registration or you may apply at a nearby CDTFA location.
- What Type Of License Is Needed To Start A Security Business In Washington?
Private Patrol Operator (PPO) license. You’ll need to pay a $550 fee for your qualified manager application and a $770 fee for your license.
How to get a PPO license
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Must have at least one year of paid experience totaling not less than 2,000 hours as a patrolman, guard or watchman, or the equivalent.
- Pass a written examination.
- Undergo a criminal history review by the Department of Justice and the FBI.
- How Can You Legally Start A Business At 14 In Washington?
If you can sign contracts, you can own a business. In Washington, the legal age for purposes of contractual consent is 18. However, there are ways to start a business with a consenting parent or guardian, possibly with an irrevocable trust back to the child, who co-signs all agreements.
You can also act as a sole trader before you are 18, as long as there are legal documents you need to sign, like leases, contracts etc. City and county officials in your jurisdiction can outline the requirements, explain penalties for noncompliance and provide the proper paperwork to get the process rolling.
- What Is Better A Washington LLC Or A Washington Corporation?
Both structures are very effective in providing the owner with limited liability. It boils down to taxes, fees, maintenance, corporate formalities, and whether you want to raise money.
Washington LLCs are more popular for new entrepreneurs that want to keep things simple and cost-effective and do not want to raise money or have the ability to sell shares. Washington S-Corporations are better for the entrepreneurs that anticipate making large amounts of money in the first couple of years and also foresee needing to raise money from US residents.
- How Much Does A Business License Cost In Washington?
Business licenses are administered by cities in Washington, so prices vary from place to place. Typically, business licenses cost between $50 and $100.
- What Business Licenses And Permits Are Needed In Washington?
Any business owner must obtain a general business license in the city in which your business is located. Some Washington cities refer to a business license as a business tax certificate. Businesses that are operated in unincorporated sections of the state must obtain their license or tax certificate on a county basis. Generally, you may need;
- Alarm Permit
- Building Permit
- Business License and/or Tax Permit
- Health Permit
- Occupational Permit
- Signage Permit
- Zoning Permit
- How Much Does It Cost To Dissolve An LLC In Washington?
There is no fee to file a certificate of dissolution. However, there is a non-refundable $15 special handling fee for processing documents delivered in person at the Sacramento SOS office. It can take the SOS many weeks to process a certificate. However, expedited service is available for an additional fee.
- How Long Does It Take For An LLC To Be Approved In Washington?
The state will approve your Washington LLC in 3-5 business days. Also, if you form your LLC during peak filing season (December through January), approval can take up to 6-7 business days. You can form your Washington LLC online or by mail.
- Can You Make Food At Home And Sell It In Washington ?
Since 2013, The Washington Homemade Food Act has allowed home cooks to make and sell certain low-risk foods from home, such as baked goods, jam, and granola—but it does not allow vendors to sell hot, home-cooked foods.
- Which Is Better, A Washington LLC Or A Sole Proprietorship?
One of the key benefits of an LLC versus the sole proprietorship is that a member’s liability is limited to the amount of their investment in the LLC. Therefore, a member is not personally liable for the debts of the LLC. A sole proprietor would be liable for the debts incurred by the business.
- Do You Need A Business License To Be An Independent Consultant In Washington?
Even the most limited consulting business may need a license from a state or local government office. If you will be selling goods as part of your consulting business, Washington also requires you to obtain a seller’s permit through the state’s Board of Equalization.
- When Is The Best Time Of Year To Form A Washington LLC?
Consider incorporating or forming an LLC between December 17 and December 31. Washington’s 15-day rule allows you to incorporate or form an LLC during the last 15 days of the year and avoid filing tax returns for 2020.
- What Is An EIN And Why Is This Extra Information Needed While Starting A Business In Washington ?
EIN is short for employer identification number. It is a nine-digit number issued by the IRS and used to identify businesses and individuals for tax purposes. As a business owner, you’ll need an EIN to open a business bank account, apply for business licenses and file your tax returns.
You may need to obtain an EIN for a number of reasons, including business, estate, or trust banking, and hiring employees. Businesses also need EINs when they are required to file employment tax returns; excise tax returns; or alcohol, tobacco, and firearms returns.
- Why Is It So Hard To Start A Business In Washington?
While living costs may be the biggest challenge to business growth in Washington business centers, laws and regulations also pose challenges. Washington, for better or worse, is a leader in stringent environmental laws, statewide rent control, contractor employment classification, and other areas.
- Why Is It So Expensive To Start Your Own Business In Washington?
Due to the multitude of tax disadvantages that burden the Washington LLC, it is a very expensive means to operate a business. It is therefore typically in the owners best interest to form a corporation, rather than a LLC, unless the entity is being formed to hold real estate.
- How Much Taxes Does An LLC Pay In Washington?
Every LLC that is doing business or organized in Washington must pay an annual tax of $800. This yearly tax will be due, even if you are not conducting business, until you cancel your LLC. You have until the 15th day of the 4th month from the date you file with the SOS to pay your first-year annual tax.
- What Happens If You Don’t Pay Washington Franchise Tax?
The Washington Franchise Tax Board imposes a penalty if you do not pay the total amount due shown on your tax return by the original due date. The penalty is 5 percent of the unpaid tax (underpayment), plus 0.5 percent of the unpaid tax for each month or part of a month it remains unpaid (monthly).
- Do You Need A Seller’s Permit To Sell Online In Washington ?
Generally, if you make three or more sales in a 12-month period, you are required to hold a seller’s permit. This applies even if your sales are made through Internet auction houses, such as eBay and uBid, or websites that offer online classified advertisements (online advertisers) such as Craigslist.
- What Are Profitable Businesses In Washington That I Could Start With 20k?
- Customized cake selling
- Mobile Parlor
- House Cleaning Services
- Alteration/Sewing Services
- Musical Performance
- Computer Repairer/Troubleshooter
- Web Design/Development
- Paying Guest Services
- Errand Services
- Day Care
- Artists Agency
- Training School
- Event Management
- Moving Restaurant
- What Type Of Business Can You Start With 40k In Washington?
- Supplementary Educational Businesses
- Wholesale Electronic Trade
- Shoe Stores
- Beauty Services
- Real Estate Rentals
- Non-instructional Educational Support Services
- Electronics and Appliance Stores
- Secondhand Retail
- Do You Need A License To Sell Homemade Food In Washington?
You must get a permit from the county health department to operate a home-based food business in Washington. You can choose from two types of permits, depending on whether you want to sell products directly to customers or through other local businesses like shops or restaurants.
- What Are The Pros and Cons Of Incorporating In Wyoming?
- Many companies incorporate in Wyoming because the administrative costs are generally lower than in Delaware or Nevada. Unlike many states, Wyoming does not require licensing or filing fees to be paid to complete the process of incorporation. The only fee Wyoming charges is an annual filing fee to maintain the corporation, which is $52.
- Wyoming also has personal asset protection laws in place to protect business owners and company officers from losing assets like cars and houses in the event of litigation.
- The state also takes data protection laws seriously, requiring registered agents to maintain private data for businesses rather than have sensitive data entered into a public database.
- Wyoming doesn’t require business owners to be U.S. citizens in order to incorporate
- Forming a corporation in a different state won’t necessarily save a business any money in the long run. Incorporating out of state will usually do little for a business unless it conducts its operations in that state.
- Incorporating in a tax-friendly state is not an effective strategy for reducing taxes unless the business plans to operate in that state.
- What Are The Pros Cons Of Incorporating In Delaware?
- Many corporations register in Delaware because of the state’s lucrative tax codes and corporate-friendly laws.
- Delaware’s separate Court of Chancery provides businesses with faster resolutions and more predictable outcomes to business disputes.
- Delaware also has the Delaware Asset Protection Trust to protect personal assets from creditors in the event of litigation.
- Delaware attracts many corporations because the state has no income tax. Additionally, Delaware does not charge corporate taxes from corporations which are incorporated in Delaware but do not conduct business in the state
- The state levies an annual franchise tax on the par value of common stock. The franchise tax starts at $75 plus a $50 filing fee and can reach up to $180,000.
- Delaware also requires businesses to name a registered agent with a physical Delaware street address at the time of incorporation.
- Which State Is Better To Start A Small Business, Washington Or Texas?
According to The Best States for Small Business 2019, a recent study from Guidant Financial, Texas is one of the top two states for boomer and millennial entrepreneurs to start up a business.
- Do You Have To Pay The 800 Washington Llc Fee The First Year?
Every LLC that is doing business or organized in Washington must pay an annual tax of $800. You have until the 15th day of the 4th month from the date you file with the SOS to pay your first-year annual tax.
- What Ecommerce Software Is Best For Selling Online In Washington?
- Shopify (and Shopify Plus)
- Big Cartel
- Salesforce Commerce Cloud
- What Business Should You Start In 2021?
- Online Courses and Coaching
- Ecommerce Business
- Sell Custom Printed Products
- Graphic Design
- Web Development
- Become an Instagram Influencer
- Who Pays CA Franchise Tax?
Every corporation that is incorporated, registered, or doing business in Washington must pay the $800 minimum franchise tax.
- What Is The Benefit Of Structuring Your Business As A Corporation?
Advantages of a corporation include personal liability protection, business security and continuity, and easier access to capital. Disadvantages of a corporation include it being time-consuming and subject to double taxation, as well as having rigid formalities and protocols to follow.
- When Should I Turn A Sole Proprietorship Into An LLC?
As soon as the business has even one paying client, the owner is open to liability and should create an LLC or corporation to provide legal protection. The LLC or corporation provides a separation between the business assets and the personal assets.
- Can You Make Payments To The Franchise Tax Board?
Individual and business taxpayers can make payments to the Franchise Tax Board in many ways. Starting in May 2014, a credit card payment option for businesses was added. Corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies (LLC) now have the option to pay the Washington Franchise Tax Board (FTB) by credit card.
- How Do You Start A Small Business From Home?
- Identify your small business idea
- Start as a side business or hobby
- Decide on your software
- Create a business plan
- Decide whether you’ll be an LLC or sole proprietorship
- Create a business bank account
- Determine if your business idea works well from home
- Set up an office
- Market your business
- Should I Use An LLC Formation Service Or Do It Myself?
Ultimately, the choice between forming an LLC yourself or using a professional formation service comes down to cost versus time and convenience. While it’s less expensive to file yourself, you will still need to pay state fees. SO you need to figure out which is best for you.
- What Were The Most Successful Small Businesses?
- Handymen or handywomen business
- Online education
- Real estate agency
- Child-oriented businesses
- Dental offices
- Gardening and landscaping
- Information technology (IT) support
- Party planning services
- Accounting and tax preparation
- Personal trainers
- What Businesses Are In Demand Today?
- Fulfillment by Amazon Sale
- Digital Marketing
- Translation Services
- Graphic Design
- Senior Care Services
- Freelance Copywriter
- Food Sales & Delivery
- What Is The Best Business For Beginners?
- Home Contractor
- Landscaping Business
- Freelance Writer
- Virtual Assistant
- Home Cleaning Service
- Child Care Service
- Can Your Business Mail Be Sent To Your Registered Office Address?
When you form a Limited Company you cannot use a P.O. Box for your Registered Office Address. This is because by law your Registered Office must have a physical location, so you need a brick and mortar address that can receive your official correspondence from Companies House and HMRC.
- Is IRS And Franchise Tax Board The Same?
No. While the IRS enforces federal income tax obligations, the Washington Franchise Tax Board (FTB) enforces state income tax obligations.
- Will The FDIC Insure Money Held By An LLC Or Corporation?
As with consumer accounts, total deposits in eligible business accounts from a corporation, partnership, LLC or unincorporated organization at a bank are covered up to $250,000 by the FDIC.
- Which Licenses Or Permits Do You Need To Conduct Business?
Examples of commonly required licenses and permits include:
- General business licenses
- Tax registrations
- Health permits
- State-issued occupational licenses
- Liquor licenses
- Lottery licenses
- Reseller’s licenses
- Zoning and land-use permits
- What Is The Difference Between A Trademark, Copyright And Patent?
Copyright secures creative or intellectual creations. Trademarks secure the branding under which products and services are sold. Patent secures inventions that are useful for the world and has some use. E.g. New invention in pharmaceutical industry.
A patent protects an invention for 20 years, but it cannot be renewed. The code of the software will be protected by a copyright, while the functional expression of the idea will be protected by a patent. The name of the company or the software will come under a trademark.
- What’s The Easiest Business To Start?
- Gardening and Landscaping Services
- Yoga Instruction
- Local Tour Guide
- Face painting
- What Kind Of Documents Do You Need To File If You Are Forming A Sole Proprietorship?
You will have to fill out a registration form for a “fictitious name” or “Doing Business As” DBA. In some states, individuals register sole proprietorships with the state government or the county clerk’s office. Appropriate identification will be required such as your driver’s license or your state ID card. You may also need an EIN.
- Does Your LLC Need A Bank Account?
Some businesses must legally separate personal and business funds. If you operate as a limited liability company (LLC) or a corporation, you must open a separate business account. Sole proprietorships and partnerships without DBAs are not legally required to open a business bank account.
- Which Industry Is Most Profitable?
- Open-End Investment Funds in the US
- Intermodal Container Leasing
- Organic Chemical Pipeline Transportation in the US
- Refined Petroleum Pipeline Transportation in the US
- Database, Storage & Backup Software Publishing in the US
- Software Publishing in the US
- Real Estate Investment Trusts
- What Happens If You Don’t Pay LLC Tax?
When you do not pay your minimum LLC tax of $800, the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) will charge you a penalty. Eventually, if you do not pay the tax your LLC will be suspended.
- Do You Need A Sellers Permit To Sell On Shopify?
The short answer is yes. If you operate a business, the only time you can operate without registering or incorporating is if you use your own personal name for the business.