For more than 20 years, TechnoServe has been working in Tanzania with farmers, cooperatives, suppliers and processors to strategically develop competitive industries around key crops, including cash crops such as cocoa, horticulture and coffee, and staples such as maize.
We are helping farmers make the transition from subsistence to commercial production, assisting processors to improve operations, and identifying opportunities for investment in agriculture.
Additionally, we are supporting the diversification of Tanzania’s economy through entrepreneurship programs that empower young men and women to create thriving businesses.
TechnoServe is preparing for an anticipated USAID-funded horticulture activity in Tanzania. This exciting opportunity aims to help increase the commercialization, inclusiveness, and competitiveness of horticulture market systems in Tanzania
One of the positions we anticipate is a Lead for Partnerships and Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Development.
Key Activities the SME Development Lead will be responsible for include:
- Designing and leading implementation of interventions to improve the commercialization, inclusiveness, and competitiveness of food/horticulture SMEs across Tanzania.
- Brokering partnerships and contractual arrangements between actors along the food/horticulture value chain
- Driving the design and implementation of technical assistance interventions and customized management support
- Strengthening the financial and business skills of SMEs in the food/horticulture market system
- Supporting SMEs to pilot relevant innovations to boost their commercialization, inclusiveness, and competitiveness
Successful candidates will have:
- A degree in Business, Economics, Supply Chain Management, Accounting, Agricultural Economics, Finance, or other relevant fields.
- Over 7 years of private sector experience in the fields of agribusiness, SME development, marketing, project or business management, finance, or advisory services.
- A Proven track record in providing one or all of the following solutions to SMEs:
- Brokering partnerships between marketing system actors
- Connecting SMEs along the value chain
- Experience with Market Systems Development (MSD) /Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) approaches.
- Demonstrated understanding of youth and gender issues in SME businesses.
- Experience working in Tanzania and/or Sub-Saharan Africa
Note: This position is contingent upon donor award and approval.